Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying Advice ~ 1998 2.8 V6 Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 07:23 PM
Default Buying Advice ~ 1998 2.8 V6 Quattro

Hiya folks, I am considering buying this model of A6 and would like to know if this is one of the better ones out of the A6 series. Also I'd like to hear from anyone who has one of these already ~ will the fuel consumption really be as bad as I think its gonna be? How much do you think I should be paying for one of these in resonable condition (approx 90k) with no leather interior?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thnx

Old 05-13-2005, 11:02 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Buying Advice ~ 1998 2.8 V6 Quattro

I have a 98 A4 2.8 30v. The gas mileage is surprisingly decent. I do mostly highway driving and get around 24-25 mpg. Just a heads up on a few things that have recently taken a **** on my car.

1. Tie rod ends - Drive your car on a rutted road, if you get tossed all over the lane, they need replaced.
2. Cruise control does not work.
3. LCD display will work for about 20 min, then crap out.
4. Sunroof started getting tempermental and decided it didn't want to close anymore.

I can't answer the rest of your questions.

Old 05-14-2005, 05:34 AM

Thats great, thanks. I had heard from a few folk that I could expect around 26mpg but I was dubious about that.

Old 05-17-2005, 06:49 AM

I've got a 2.8 Manual Quattro.

I'm not slow, but avarage 24mpg, and get 31mpg on a fast Mway run, with about 350 out of a tank. However, I tend to use 97/8 octaine fuel, which is more expensive !!!

(Just realised you might be from "Over there" - I am refering to UK gallons !!!!)

Old 05-18-2005, 04:03 PM
1st Gear

"will the fuel consumption really be as bad as I think its gonna be?"
This is a trick question, isn't it?

I get about 21-23mpg avg with aoubt 80% freeway driving. The gas mileage decreases substantially with city driving. I wouldn't say the 2.8 is a very fuel efficient car, but it's decent for its age.

Tie rod ends, cam t seals, galvanized control arm corrosion, torn cv boots, oil leaks, transmission shudder, broken rear window lockout switch, broken trunk/motion sensor switches, sticky front windows that roll down slow or not at all, dash fires, bumper overhang getting caught on curbs, transmission shift problems, starting problems, non functioning heated steering wheel, led guage cluster dims/disappears/'acts up', hvac problems/malfunctions, side view mirror color change, unintended acceleration in very cold weather, a/c drain tube clogs, water leaking into interior from rain clogged rain gutter, and the typical german car electrical gremlins - these are just a few problems i know about on that particular model A6
Some of these are covered under service actions or recalls.

98-01 are virtually identical models with a few additions/changes in options
98 model has a smaller 'gimpy' passenger side mirror

90k is a lot of miles for an Audi, make sure water pump/timing belt have already been changed. Make sure transmission service has been performed. I'd also recommend servicing both differentials. If you love german cars, these are great buys. They may be cheap to purchase, but they are very expensive to own. G'luck. =)

Old 05-18-2005, 04:34 PM

What do you guys do to them over there !!!!

I oil service mine every 5k, do about 900 per week, and have over 98k on original kit so far !!!! - it's a good cheap, comofrtable car.

Old 05-18-2005, 05:26 PM
1st Gear

Sometimes it just depends. There are some people who never experience any problems. Some are more keen on picking up on problems that others wouldn't. Many of these problems you could easily drive around with and never know existed. I couldn't tell my tie rod ends were no good by any measure of sound. CV boots can remain torn for an extended period of time with no detection and eventually cause expensive axle damage many thousands of miles later. Many of these things must be diagnosed and inspected by a trained technician. You could inevitably drive with these problems until one day your car doesn't work. My car runs perfectly smooth at over 100k/miles, but I am completely aware of the problems that needs to be corrected - despite being able to drive with them.
I have a Toyota Camry with 230k/miles on it, and it is MUCH cheaper to maintain even at that age then my Audi. I beg to differ about being a cheap car. The majority of Audi owners will tell you how much of a pain it is to own there car, but they still love it because its an Audi.

I know some dealer technicians that work on these cars regularly - believe me when I say these cars have their fair share of problems. That doesn't mean you can't own one that will never give you any!