Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken axle boot

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 02:51 PM
Default Broken axle boot

Hi,
I have a 2004 A6 3.0 quattro which has a broken axle boot. Any suggestion on how to change or fix this?

Thanks
Rob

Old 05-12-2010, 05:04 PM
3rd Gear

do a search in this forum -- There is a lot of info from replacing the boot to doing a complete rebuilt axel. I prefer the rebuilt axel route because you get new inner and outer boots with good CV joints but some swear that they are OK with just replacing the boot. In either case you'll need to remove the axel.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:35 AM
2nd Gear

I've heard that the stock cv joints on audis are supposed to be indestructible... I don't entirely believe it but a boot kit is less than half the price of a new axle. There are lots of DIYs on here for pulling the axle.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:04 PM
3rd Gear

If you do the boot you might as well do the whole axel for a few more dollars -That way you get both inner and outer boots for the same amount -or less work.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:37 AM
1st Gear
Smile Axle Boot Replacement

Hi Rlaws277,

Unless you let the CV Joint go completely dry after the rubber boot tore, you shouldn't need to replace that joint or the axle half shaft...that is unless you just want to throw away your money. If you've let it go to the point where you have axle noise...such as clicking or popping , then yes I would replace the bad joint or complete half shaft. The boot kits theselves are fairly inexpensive and can be found usually for less than $40. I'm inlcuding a link from Audiforums that explains CV boot replacement for an A6 and should be helpful if you decide to perform the repair yourself. Good Luck with it!
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel.html

Old 05-14-2010, 12:43 PM
3rd Gear

good plan --
get a replacement boot for $40 -
spend half a day pulling the axel, replacing the boot, and reinstalling the axel
your guranteed to get dirty-greasy hands
your wife will be pissed because you messed up the sink
and she won't make dinner for you
and she won't talk with you for a week
You will drive for a few months and find you need to replace the inner boot
you will get another replacement boot for $40
spend half a day pulling the axel and replacing the boot
You will get dirty greasy hands again
this time you'll have extra hand cleaner around and you will be careful not to mess up the sink.

or you could spend $80 ($40 x 2) and do both of them now
You will still have a problem with the dirty sink, wife, and lack of food but you'll only have to do it once.

or you could get a rebuilt axel with two new boots and not get grease all over yourself or the sink
You will save a bit of time because you will not have to install the boot.
Your wife will be happy and she will reward you with a good meal and other things.. because your such a good mechanic

Last edited by NH_USA; 05-14-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:51 PM
2nd Gear

Some women think dirty greasy hands is a manly thing (like the lumber jack fetish)... but seriously, dont mess up the sink.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:56 PM
1st Gear
Default Axle Boot

NH USA,

I agree with you that one might save a little time/labor changing out a complete axle assembly vs installing a boot kit only. But if a man is a DIY'fer whats wrong with "Doing It Yourself" and gaining a sense of accomplishment and pride for a job you did vs paying someone hard earned money to do for you. And by the way you can avoid greasy hands by wearing disposable latex gloves...just a few cents per pair and you can avoid a gripping wife by cleaning your parts in an old bucket with degreaser and brake cleaner out in your driveway.

If the man didn't want to get his hands dirty he wouldn't be here asking for advice or suggestions...he would simply have taken the car to someone else and paid them to fix it for him.

Last edited by TwinTurboC5; 05-17-2010 at 04:58 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-17-2010, 07:17 PM
1st Gear

I disagree with changing the whole axle instead of the boots, most people are going to go for the autozone axle for $99.95 This is no where near the axle That is already in your car,These aftermarket axles are not even close to what a real audi axle is.The dealership front axle is around $850.00. I would stick with the audi axles.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:05 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by histeel
I disagree with changing the whole axle instead of the boots, most people are going to go for the autozone axle for $99.95 This is no where near the axle That is already in your car,These aftermarket axles are not even close to what a real audi axle is.The dealership front axle is around $850.00. I would stick with the audi axles.

Please get a life before making comments like that. If you did a bit of homework you would realize that the Autozone axels are re-built not aftermarket knockoffs. They take your old axel, clean it up, inspect it, replace CV joints if needed, put in new grease and put on new boots. Almost forgot they do a bit of painting.. The dealership axel at $850 is new, I can get a new Audi axel for less than $500 from Force Five but always get the rebuilt

As for DYI --- LOL ya gotta be kidding -- Replacing the axel is a DIY just like doing the boot. There is still pride of accomplishment. You get two new boots, a clean axel, and you don't have to figure out where to dump the degreaser when your done. Of course you can always dump the de-greaser in the wife's garden so you don't have to weed it.

As for paying for the work -- LOL You gotta be kidding again -- Unless he has deep pockets that is usually outa the question.

Quick Reply: Broken axle boot