Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a high milage A6 Avant for use in the mountains

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 09:25 PM
1st Gear
Default Buying a high milage A6 Avant for use in the mountains

Hi all,

I stumbled across your forum while looking for advice on an upcoming purchase, and I've already gleaned a lot from having a flick through your old pages. I didn't notice anything exactly pertaining to my situation though, and neither did the search bring anything up, so I hope you don't mind my starting a new thread to pick your brains.

I work in ski resorts in the French Alps, and this season rather than flying out I'd like to drive out from the UK. I'm not hugely into cars; I just want something that's safe, that can carry a lot of skis and snowboards, won't cost an absolute fortune and won't break down. I'd like to spend £2000, and I'd like to get the car in the next couple of weeks.

Because I'm going to drive it in the French Alps, ABS is essential, and I'm quite taken by the idea of a 4wd. Last winter the roads were covered in compacted snow for around 3 months, and with ski resorts being built on mountains there'll be a lot of steep, icy driveways to get in and out of on a daily basis. Whatever I end up buying, it will be fitted with winter tyres.

A couple of models that come up fairly regularly are approx year 2000 A6s in either 1.8 turbo petrol or 1.9 turbo diesel in both manual and automatic at around 100,000 miles. I've had a look at a selection of these in the metal and they seem great. Before putting the money down I'll pay for a thorough check by a mechanic that my family trusts, and from reading the forums here I've ascertained the importance of regular servicing, especially oil changes on the turbo. Assuming that the mechanic gives it the all clear, what are your thoughts on any of these cars for what I'm after? I'm happy with the insurance costs and MPG of the cars - I only estimate that I'll be doing 5,000 miles a year, and I get a fuel allowance from my employer in both directions. What should I be looking for, and what else should I consider when buying one of these?

Just for your information, I'm also considering VW Passat and Ford Mondeo estates. I'd be very happy with a Volvo V70, but strangely enough can't get insurance on one!

Thanks in advance for any hints and tips!