Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 2.7T CCT tension tool stripped in CCT threads HELP!

Old 09-16-2012, 04:37 PM
1st Gear
Default C5 2.7T CCT tension tool stripped in CCT threads HELP!

So I f'd up pretty good. While trying to change half moon seal & cct seal I stripped the hole on the cct that the tension tool threads in to. Now I cannot take tension off the chain. Is there any other way to replace these seals?

If I have to remove the intake cam can it be done while the cct is still tensioned?

Need help asap, thanks!

APB engine code

Old 09-17-2012, 02:16 PM
1st Gear
Default Let me rephrase this I guess...

I was trying to change out the CCT seals when......
The plate on the cam chain tensioner that the spring compression release tool threads into stripped and will no longer allow me to release tension from the timing chain.

Has this happened to anyone on here before? And if so how did you tackle the issue?

Also I need to know is what is going to happen to the CCT if there is no decompression tool holding it down when I remove it? Will it "explode" and become useless (like an accessory tensioner)? Or does it have boundaries?

This happened because I was rushing, forgot to put the engine on TDC before beginning & only took the three bolts off the side of the CCT and forgot the bolt next to where the decompression tool goes in.

I'm going to put the lock carrier into service position, I was going to change my timing dampener & accessory tensioner, pull the cam sprockets (with lock bar & crank bolt in place) and get my timing dead on now that the belt has had 3k miles to stretch a half a tooth or whatever since I've replaced the belt and all that good stuff. So all the timing will be in place.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:41 PM
1st Gear
Default Well!

Since no one replied, I just applied some mechanic's skills to get the job done. Front end svc position, timing covers off, crank & cams @ TDC & locked in place, intake cam bearing caps off, grab non bearing surface of crank with lock pliers, lift up, got like 3/4" of room under tensioner now, cleaned thoroughly, replaced seals.

THEN...... Cam needs persuasion to go back into its rightful place. Very nerve wrecking.... start from the back putting bearing caps on ONLY FINGER TIGHT, then slowly and steadily wrenched them on. After it was seated again I removed all the caps again and inspected for scaring and proper clearance. Got proper clearance, lubed up the bearing surfaces, re applied, torqued, finished job. Hating life

But for real if someone else figured an easier way out post it to help someone else who isn't as mechanically inclined as me!