Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camshaft Position Sensor Damage in accident?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 03:18 PM
1st Gear
Default Camshaft Position Sensor Damage in accident?

My 2005 Audi A6 Quattro was in a minor accident recently. All the damage was front-end impact. (Grille, bumber, hood, headlights, and the passenger side fender).

The Audi had just been inspected, and I was having ZERO engine problems. The car was running beautifully. Then I had this front-end collission.

The body shop repaired my car to look perfectly new. State Farm Insurance covered the repair costs. However - when I picked the car up from the body shop, the engine was running very rough. It didn't sound right. I took it home anyway just figuring that perhaps the engine was cold from sitting for so long (It took almost 5 weeks for repairs!) A day later - teh engine stalled out multiple times, and it sounded horrible! Bangs, and clanks, and white smoke coming from exhaust tailpipe. Check Engine lightw as also coming on.

Mind you.... NONE of this was happening prior to the accident! So I carefully drove the car back to the body shop that repaired it, and I told them that there was something wrong with my engine, and they needed to fix it, as it wasn't like that when I dropped it off (or prior to the accident).

The body shop sent my car to an Audi dealer here in Pittsburgh for a diagnostics and inspection. The Audi dealer is telling me that I have two(2) bad Camshaft Position Sensors or (Cam Actuators - solenoid?). I can't seem to get a straight answer - but he claims they are the same thing.

The Audi dealer wants to charge me $3,000 for parts and labor to fix these, and he is telling my insurance that these sensors are a problem with Audi's, and that my car accident and front end collission could not have been the reason why these went bad. Therefore - my insurance is refusing to cover the cost to fix them!

So one day I'm driving down the road with ZERO engine problems....then I have a front end collission..... and now my 2 Camshaft sensors are bad and the engine won't run - and yet this guy (and the insurance adjuster) is trying to tell me that my collission had nothing to do with their damage??

I'm interested in hearing from any mechanics or audi owners who have had a similar experience or hav knowledge about these camshaft position sensors, and whether a collission could possibly be the cause of their failure.

I have an attorney who spoke to a mechanic, and they told him that the camshaft sensors in Audis are often damaged in front end collisions. Electrical wires running from the sensor are damaged from the impact and they cause the sensor to short out. (Is this a possibility?)

Could there also be other reasons why these sensors would go bad immediately after a collission? Perhaps an electrical surge?

Any insight or helpful information is much appreciated. If I cannot prove that the accident led to this damage, then I am out $3,000.

Thanks!

Old 04-30-2016, 08:18 PM
Default Having the same issue...

Originally Posted by dhaniford
My 2005 Audi A6 Quattro was in a minor accident recently. All the damage was front-end impact. (Grille, bumber, hood, headlights, and the passenger side fender).

The Audi had just been inspected, and I was having ZERO engine problems. The car was running beautifully. Then I had this front-end collission.

The body shop repaired my car to look perfectly new. State Farm Insurance covered the repair costs. However - when I picked the car up from the body shop, the engine was running very rough. It didn't sound right. I took it home anyway just figuring that perhaps the engine was cold from sitting for so long (It took almost 5 weeks for repairs!) A day later - teh engine stalled out multiple times, and it sounded horrible! Bangs, and clanks, and white smoke coming from exhaust tailpipe. Check Engine lightw as also coming on.

Mind you.... NONE of this was happening prior to the accident! So I carefully drove the car back to the body shop that repaired it, and I told them that there was something wrong with my engine, and they needed to fix it, as it wasn't like that when I dropped it off (or prior to the accident).

The body shop sent my car to an Audi dealer here in Pittsburgh for a diagnostics and inspection. The Audi dealer is telling me that I have two(2) bad Camshaft Position Sensors or (Cam Actuators - solenoid?). I can't seem to get a straight answer - but he claims they are the same thing.

The Audi dealer wants to charge me $3,000 for parts and labor to fix these, and he is telling my insurance that these sensors are a problem with Audi's, and that my car accident and front end collission could not have been the reason why these went bad. Therefore - my insurance is refusing to cover the cost to fix them!

So one day I'm driving down the road with ZERO engine problems....then I have a front end collission..... and now my 2 Camshaft sensors are bad and the engine won't run - and yet this guy (and the insurance adjuster) is trying to tell me that my collission had nothing to do with their damage??

I'm interested in hearing from any mechanics or audi owners who have had a similar experience or hav knowledge about these camshaft position sensors, and whether a collission could possibly be the cause of their failure.

I have an attorney who spoke to a mechanic, and they told him that the camshaft sensors in Audis are often damaged in front end collisions. Electrical wires running from the sensor are damaged from the impact and they cause the sensor to short out. (Is this a possibility?)

Could there also be other reasons why these sensors would go bad immediately after a collission? Perhaps an electrical surge?

Any insight or helpful information is much appreciated. If I cannot prove that the accident led to this damage, then I am out $3,000.

Thanks!
I am having the same exact issue except mine is a 2011 Ford f150. No problem before I went to shop, picked up shop check engine light was on and code was Camshaft sensor one. Body shop submitted all 4 to be repaired. After speaking with adjuster I was going to replace myself. By the time I drove home to buy part, 18 codes were being shown. I took to Ford next day. They've told me now spring broke, timing, some solenoid HVC, i believe. Repairs are almost 5k.
I'm currently waiting for an approval for repairs after almost 2 weeks. Kicker for mine is Ford and adjuster originally found nothing right after accident. No codes, no check engine lights, no noise. I pick up from shop and driving away I now have major knocking, whining, rattling when I start and accelerate. Adjuster called me said busy shop did something and due to me driving it it is my fault. I am now speaking with supervisor and waiting for reply.
Has your attorney find anything for you, if so may I get his name? Have you found any supporting evidence that the accident could have caused this?
Please let me know any information possible. I can exchange information as well! I'm dealing with Foremost insurance. My name is Mindy and you can contact me personally send me an email and I'll reply with my number, or reply here. My email is mtaylor32@gmail.com
Thank you so much for any help you can give!