Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I leave my Skid Pan off?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 01:54 PM
1st Gear
Default Can I leave my Skid Pan off?

Just got done changing the oil for the first time in my 01 A6 2.7T and I noticed that the skid pan (or whatever it's called) is pretty cracked up and pretty much done for. Can so without this? Considering how so many cars do even have such a thing I wonder if I can just do without it? Or at least go for a while until I can find another one on the used market.

Thoughts?

PS - sorry if this topic has been covered... I searched but not sure I was searching for the right term.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:54 PM

You can leave it off but it will allow road debris (I live in a snowey area so lots of sand/salt) to get in there thru the bottom of the car. Also I would think it is helps reduce lift on the front end because it streamlines the air going under therefor reducing turbulence. I have read that with some cars the splash guards help with cooling efficiency because it channels the air thru the engine bay and out the back vs all dumping out the bottom rite after the radiator. You can drive without but if you have it and can re-attach it why not do so. If it is falling off then I would say go sans splash guard. Also if there are some rips in it you can drill some holes on each side of the tear and stich it back together via zip ties/lock wire/epoxy. Works wonders on things people don't see and is less than getting a new one from the dealer.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:02 PM
1st Gear

I took mine off,when it snows it shovels and collects too much snow

Old 01-03-2010, 05:24 PM
3rd Gear

Off road vehicles have skid pans (plates). This is really a belly pan or drip pan, intended mainly to catch oil before it hits the driveway of rich owners of expensive German autos. Yes, you can drive without it but I agree with the patch and replace recommendation. Even holes can be patched with similar plastic material, a drill, and a few pop rivets.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:47 PM

It's not a skid plate or a drip pan (cars aren't supposed to leak anything). It's part of the aerodynamics of the car. The flatter the underside of the car the more stable the air flow under the car. It helps eliminate buffeting at speed. Leave it off if you want. I spend the extra couple of minutes to put mine back on after servicing.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:55 AM
3rd Gear

^^^ + it protects some vital parts of the engine from potential/eventual water splashes that as you know causes rusting over time: crankshaft tip + bolt(s), alternator, starter, AC Compressor, etc, etc

Old 01-04-2010, 08:08 AM

You can patch almost anything especially your protective-aero pan...it was put there for all the reasons listed. If the pieces are there use some spray-on adhesive along with pop-rivets as suggested...why is it getting so damaged, maybe a few repairs to the driving is in order

Old 01-07-2010, 10:29 PM
1st Gear
Default Belly Pan Off

The day I brought mine home from the used car dealer, it fell off in the driveway full of snow.

The mechanic here in PA said that these pans often accumulate gravel, etc. and can lead to faster corrosion, in our wet, snowy, salt saturated area.

Not sure I agree. I will re-secure it with some strong nuts and bolts. I think it protects the vitals from salty road slush and spray.

The pan on my old '90 V8Q was missing, so I fabbed one from aluminum, it worked great.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:44 AM
2nd Gear

Haven't has mine one for a year and no ill effects. There is a very, very, very slight difference in noise level, but the stereo takes care of that. But, then again, I park on grass so I don't get my driveway covered in oil spots....

Bob

Old 01-08-2010, 12:41 PM
3rd Gear

Most of the attachment screws for my belly pan are long gone so I use tie wraps. I drilled a few holes in the pan where it made sense to give me an easy place to put the tie wrap thru.

When I wan to go stealth I use black tie wraps --when I want to be cool I use white --When I want to be sexy I use red -- Blue is for those days I'm not feeling too good. and I never use yellow cause my Audi is a mean SOB!