Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cannot shift out of park

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 09:16 PM
1st Gear
Default Cannot shift out of park

At the risk of being declared insane, let me tell you my story. I have a 2004 A6 wagon. I took it in yesterday to be detailed. When I went to pick up my car, it would not shift out of park. After repeatedly turning the ignition off and on, I finally got it to shift into drive and it drove well all of the way home. HOWEVER, and perhaps this bears no relationship to the shifting problem, I have no A/C. The fan comes on for a few seconds and then cuts out. The A/C lights flash intermittently.

I suspected a bad transmission control module, as the carpeting is quite damp under the passenger seat. I pulled the seat forward and up as far as possible and then positioned a fan to blow in that area all night. It was no better in the morning. I had hoped that once the area dried out, I would be OK.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try next? Could the transmission control module seem to be my culprit? Can it also effect the A/C?

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Dean in Tulsa, OK

Old 09-28-2016, 11:17 PM
1st Gear

Hey bud a little late for the reply. But this seems oddly coincidental for a detail and then your interior cabin is soaked where the tcm is.

Did they do the engine bay detailing? If so, water would've leaked down the cabin filter area right into the TCM area. If they did that, then they should be paying for the tcm and all repairs. Not hard to prove if they did the engine bay detailing and soaked the **** out of everything