Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car shakes and sometimes turns off after fueling

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 04:12 PM
mig
1st Gear
Default Car shakes and sometimes turns off after fueling

I have a check engine light for an evap system issue, (I am almost positive there is a broken seal or broken hose around my fuel pump causing this); I have recently changed my fuel filter (thinking it was the culprit) and just today (it hadn't done this for a while) my car turned off (after shaking a little) when I turned it on after filling up the tank from .5 gallons (I had maybe 10 miles left in the tank, it was almost empty).

Once I turned the car on, it shook, the RPMs dropped to 0 and the car turned off; after turning it on a second time, the RPMs dropped to like 400 then I accelerated a little and while it still shook a bit after I left the gas station it rides nicely again.... I can turn it on now and there is no shaking, no problem. But I am still wondering what could have caused this? Maybe the lack of pressure to the fuel pump is not causing it to pickup the fuel properly? Maybe something is dirty? I don't know what to think because it only happens when I fill up my tank from empty. I have also put in fuel treatments before I changed the fuel filter.

Ideas welcome.

Old 06-22-2006, 04:28 PM
Default RE: Car shakes and sometimes turns off after fueling

EVAP system and the culprit was probably the gas cap also not a good idea to run so low on fuel

Old 06-22-2006, 04:34 PM
mig
1st Gear

Forgot to mention that I got a new gas cap (from blauparts).

And sorry, also forgot to mention that I get a gas smell (whenever the gas tank is over 3/4 full) inside the cabin AND there is SMALL traces of fuel seeping down from my fuel tank (my mechanic saw it but could hardly make it out until he smelled it while looking under my car).

And yeah I try not to run so low, but when I can fill my tank up at 3.08/gal in Jersey (which is where I am right now) vs 3.38/gal in NYC (which is where I live); I roughed it out to get to the gas station....my wallet already hurts from the few maintenance things left to do to the car.

Old 06-22-2006, 04:38 PM

a leak would cause fuel pressure loss while filling up so I guess you know the answer to your question

Old 06-22-2006, 04:41 PM
mig
1st Gear

Yeah, I am going to change whatever is the cause of my check engine light and see if the problem stops, I just wondered if there might be any other causes... but if there are I will find out after I take care of that leak that's causing my CEL to turn on.

Old 06-22-2006, 04:51 PM

check to feed pipes on top of the fuel tank as the part that goes on the tank is metal and often gets neglected so rusts like hell, low fuel pressure will probably be the problem and that will throw the CEL on