Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car will not start

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 01:42 PM
1st Gear
Unhappy car will not start

Hi everyone name is Brian I have lived in Spain for 11 years and have an Audi A6 2.4 2002.Its now been in the workshop of a local Spanish mechanic for 4 weeks and he still can not find a solution.The problem is when the engine is hot it will not even crank.So far he has changed the ignition computer switch and the relay and now he thinks it might be the cable to the automatic gearbox inhibitor switch???,his words not mine.Does anyone out there have a solution for me to pass on to him? He has spoken with the chief technician in Malaga and he does not have a clue either,:confused the way things are going with the time he has spent on the car I might suggest he keeps it ,his bill will be more than the car is worth.Any help would be appreciated.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:24 PM
Senior Administrator

Sounds like your mechanic is going to have to get a couple of test leads and start trouble-shooting the electrical/ignition/starter sub-systems.

Others, more familiar with the A6, specifically, may have more specific advice. I don't, so my advice is along the lines of general trouble-shooting.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:54 AM
2nd Gear

Just to be clear, is it ONLY when the engine is hot that it will not start? So on the opposite side of that, the car will start after it's been sitting for a prolonged period of time and the engine along with the other components are hot?

Old 11-07-2013, 08:29 AM
1st Gear
Default car wont start

thanks for your replies,the car will not start when hot ,when cold there is no problem,cant risk it to do short time parking,don't think the insurer will be happy if I keep calling the breakdown truck.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:07 AM
1st Gear

Anytime my cars do the no start when hot it ends up being crank sensor. No matter the make. Does it cut off while driving?, need more info. Crank sensor is chepa enough to Try out.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:16 PM
2nd Gear

I was actually going to suggest the engine speed sensor found right around the bell housing but I see someone beat me to it.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:18 AM
1st Gear
Unhappy car wont start

thanks for your replies the engine does not cut out when driving,just going to see the mechanic and to pass on your advice and to see if he has solved the problem but not holding out much hope

Old 11-09-2013, 06:00 PM
1st Gear

I know this is easy to say, but the guy has got to stop guessing. Like you said you are already into some costs, hopefully he feels some pity and gives you a discount. There is a set of diagnostic steps to take, so you need to find someone who knows those. Also you don't say if he has a vagcom. That may give you an answer right there. I will put a few things out there. Let it warm up, then turn it off, put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail, maybe the fuel pump is bad. Often they will work when cold, but not after stopping. Note if so you may be able to access buy removing rear seat, not taking tank down.
Crankshaft position sensor, also called engine speed sensor. My 1998 A6 had that go bad. Started up cold no problems. Would not start after warming up, especially after a short trip.
This is NOT the wheel speed sensor, they get that confused. Let us know what happens, good luck.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:37 PM
1st Gear

Just had my original crank sensor go on my a6 4.2. 217896 and still going. It had similar symptoms, But the fuel test is a good idea. Hes in spain so it may be cooler this time of year. If