Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To change or not to change: Brake fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 06:39 AM
1st Gear
Default To change or not to change: Brake fluid?

I know this sounds like a stupid question, but this is why I'm having such a hard time finding a reputable shop that is actually trustworthy.
The last mechanic I took my car to told me he doesn't believe in changing the brake fluid in my car (not sure if he was just referencing the 2.7T or all cars....?) because he says when you flush it out, contaminants can get dislogded and contaminate other parts of the system, resulting in the need for a new master cylinder....
KEEP IN MIND, some of you may remember this guy from an old post. I brought my car there with a brake pad warning light. He told me the wire had come loose, I still had 10K left on my brakes, and said he reconnected it and charged me 67 bucks. Come to find out later that they had CUT and butt-connected BOTH sides and I had 1-3 mm left on both front pads!!! And I know of r a fact that those wires were fine, as I had checked before I took the car there, but I didn't measure brake pad width
Thieves, cheats and liars!!

So anyway, back to my original question: does everyone here change the brake fluid at the recommended 2 year interval? The origianl owner must've done it, as he had the car for 3 years and he had all the recommended service done at the Audi dealership...
Thoughts?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Old 02-27-2009, 08:25 AM
2nd Gear

I change the fluid at two year intervals. Better to be safe than sorry.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:29 AM
1st Gear

That's kinda what I'm thinking now. I assume you've never had a problem with your master cylinder?

Old 02-27-2009, 01:04 PM
3rd Gear

The brake fluid issue is somewhat like the trans fluid issue.

On older vehicles that have not had regular flushes you are shooting craps because you take the chance of disloging sludge etc and messing things up, but if the vehicle is newer it is a good idea.

In some ways the same applies to super high detergent oils or engine cleaners in old vehicles. The loosened crap has to go someplace and if it dosen't get to the filter it plugs up oil galleys and embeds particles in bearings. And sometimes the filter gets plugged.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:30 PM
1st Gear

So in my 04 with 84,6xx miles, that has probably had the fluid changed in 05 or 06 (I'll check the maintenance log), do you think I should do it in your opinion?

Old 02-27-2009, 03:32 PM
2nd Gear

I would change it.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:33 PM
2nd Gear

I would change it too.
Brake fluid tend to absorb moisture and lose its characteritics with time, more so than with mileage.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:51 PM
1st Gear

Old or new change it, if something goes, it will expose the weakness at least when you ready for it. I change the fluid in all the used cars I've bought. Had a e30 325 that the brake line corroded from the inside out.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:34 PM
2nd Gear

Every 2 years religiously.
See if the prior did it ayt An Audi dealer.
Give yuor local dealer your Vin # and they can track down any work down at a Audi dealer.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:14 PM

The main problem with brake fluid is water absorption. It might be a problem in 4-season, but my son drives on 12-years old fluid here in dry California and I can't make him do it. He is no longer living with us, but comes here when he works on the car. That doesn't happen too often.
Any advise in this field?

Quick Reply: To change or not to change: Brake fluid?