AudiForums.com

Go Back   AudiForums.com > Audi Models > Audi A6
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by Audi USA Parts
Click Here

Welcome to Audi Forums!
Welcome to Audi Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-09-2006, 02:19 PM

Default Changing rack & pinion on 2000 A6 2.7T

1st off hello I am new to the furum and purchased my AUDI last year August. I have the engine light on for the catalyt converters which I'm ignoring and the ABS light is steady on but no brake problems as I can tell. My real delema is the rack started leaking. Has anyone done this and have instructions. The dealers want my new born baby for the cost of labor (1500) and parts (1300). I bought an aftermarket rebuilt with (supposedly lifetime garuantee). I plan to change it this week and would like to be aware of any parts to buy before I get caught in the middle. Your help is much appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:28 AM
3rd Gear

Points: 4,930, Level: 44 Points: 4,930, Level: 44 Points: 4,930, Level: 44
Level up: 90%, 20 Points needed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Daily Activity: 0%
Daily Activity: 0% Daily Activity: 0% Daily Activity: 0%
Default RE: Changing rack & pinion on 2000 A6 2.7T

Honestly the rack is a pain to replace. Theres a running joke among some techs that the car is build around the rack. Thus the high labor cost. There are two bolts in the battery plenum that must come out. They hold the rack in. You have to remove both ppower steering lines, and both tie rod ends. then it takes some fiddling to remove it.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:28 AM

Tags
2000, 27, a4, a6, audi, cost, hard, labor, pinion, problem, rack, remove, replace, replacing, turbo