Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clicking noise from front end

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 08:52 PM
Default Clicking noise from front end

Hello, I just purchased an used '06 A6 Avant quattro (42K miles) from a local dealer, and have a question for this group. When turning, both right and left, at any speed, I hear a distinct clicking sound from the front end when the wheel is turned. No noise in a straight line. Any thoughts, I assume this is not normal. Would like to get it corrected while still under warranty assuming it is an issue.

Also, I have noticed the windshield wipers when off are parked on the lower part of the windshield, clearly visible above the hoodline. The passenger side wiper is particularly high on the windshield. Any thoughts as to what might be going on?

Thanks in advance!

Bill in NJ

Old 09-15-2008, 08:56 PM
2nd Gear

the clicking is most likely the cv joints. check the rubber boots for tears.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:27 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Bill in NJ
Hello, I just purchased an used '06 A6 Avant quattro (42K miles) from a local dealer, and have a question for this group. When turning, both right and left, at any speed, I hear a distinct clicking sound from the front end when the wheel is turned. No noise in a straight line. Any thoughts, I assume this is not normal. Would like to get it corrected while still under warranty assuming it is an issue.

Also, I have noticed the windshield wipers when off are parked on the lower part of the windshield, clearly visible above the hoodline. The passenger side wiper is particularly high on the windshield. Any thoughts as to what might be going on?

Thanks in advance!

Bill in NJ
it is your axle ..... and the fact that it does it on both left and right turns is an indication that both the inner and outer bearings are shot. I just did the from passenger side in my 95A6q , 200.00 installed at a local euro shop. Get it fixed man because it they blow on the road you're dead in the water. As far as for your wipers.... most likely just moved on the peg a little bit. If you live in a snowy climate its a classic after effect of not properly cleaning off the windshield with snow and ice and letting the wipers do the work.