Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Code P0421 PLEASE READ

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 12:02 PM
1st Gear
Default Code P0421 PLEASE READ

So I pulled code P0421 the other day and dropped my 2000 2.7t at the dealer to have a look. P0421 is a catalyst fault and I'm at 79K and under 8 years so its covered under my 8 year/80K.

Car runs fine no power loss

Well they tell me that before they can replace the cat they need to perform an update that will cost me $180 to do...then if the light comes back on they can pull the cat. If this is an update from Audi I can't imagine there would be a cost. If there is that sucks..

Plus the tech pulled some other faults out of his *** that I did not pull with my reader...do they have a special Audi tool that can pull hidden fault codes? So I go in for a warranty issue and come back with a $200 bill. Not that I can't flip a $200 bill but I hat to take it in the pooper if ya know what I mean..

Old 11-20-2007, 12:13 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Code P0421 PLEASE READ

They use VAG whch WILL pull Audi codes yuor OBD reader won't read... This code sounds familair... what's the description? MIght be an O2.. but if it is under warranty why are they chargingyou?

Old 11-20-2007, 12:13 PM

P0421 = warm up catalytic converter bank 1 - efficiency below threshold problem is cat/ wiring HOS2 2 sensor ( heated O2 sensor bank 1 sensor 2 ) both should be covered under that warranty other wise they are trying it on and dont know exactly the problem ( O2 sensors are easily tested ) so it seems they are after your wallet so watch out

Old 11-20-2007, 12:22 PM
1st Gear

Thats the code I pulled as well. They will replace the parts but not before they perform an update that will run $180. I knew there was an update thatwas available to loosen the parameters for a catalyst efficiency failure. I just did not expect to pay $180 for it. Then if the light code pulls again they will check the 02 sensors ect....The light did turn off this morning on the way to the dealer.

I know they are just covering their asses from Audi so they get paid. I just don't wanna mess around with this and don't want a $1100 bill for something that was under warranty.

Im right at 79K right now and when I roll over 80K I don't want to have them say oh your out of warranty for a problem I came in for when it was covered...see my dilema...

Plus the EPC light was on and they said something to do with the throttle body which seems legit from what I have read so they are dingin me $200 for that.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:57 PM

they should be looking for work under the warranty unless they are doing both ( greedy ) go somewhere else

Old 11-21-2007, 01:46 PM
1st Gear

this is the top dealer in the state...

So this morning I go to grab the car. OK $180 to turn off the CEL...OK Im game whatever. $240 to replace a harness that is supposedly tripping the EPC light. OK fix that...

all said and done with tax $580 and Im on the road. Wait the EPC light is still on! Oh now they say there is a software update for that. WTF!!

I feel like I am getting bent over a log here. I don't mind spending the cash. I mind paying for BS work from a dealer that sells cars that run up to $100K (the s8 I was looking at). I'll pay for good work...

The dealer said he could now not pull any codes...but the EPC is still on..any ideas and should I really be paying for computer updates? Can I not do that myself?

Old 11-21-2007, 02:04 PM

Electronic Stability Program (ESP)[/align]Table of warning lamp functions[/align]

‒First switch on the ignition and check that the warning lamps light up. The status of the ABS warning lamp K47, the TCS/ESP warning lamp K86 and the red brake fault warning lamp will give you a first indication of the operating status of the system. [/ul][/ul]
→ The red brake fault symbol is incorporated in the display of the driver information system.

→ The ABS warning lamp -K47 and the TCS/ESP warning lamp -K86 are located underneath the display.

→ In vehicles built from January 1999 you will find the ABS warning lamp -K47 and the TCS/ESP warning lamp -K86 in the speedometer or underneath the display.

Brake warning symbol

ABS/EDL warning lamp
-K47

TCS/ESP warning lamp
-K86

Possible reasons for warning lamps lighting up

off

off

off

- All warning lamps off after self test (approx. 3 seconds after switching on ignition). All systems OK.
- Please also refer to the notes on the next page.

off

off

flashes

- TCS/ESP active. TCS/ESP Warning lamp flashes roughly 3 times a second.

Brake warning symbol

ABS/EDL warning lamp
-K47

TCS/ESP warning lamp
-K86

off

on

on

Self test is performed after switching on ignition. If all systems are OK warning lamps -K47 and -K86 go out after approx. 3 seconds. If warning lamps do not come on test the corresponding warning lamps; => Perform "Electrical check Page 01-466, test step 19.
- This fault does not affect the actuation of ABS/EDL warning lamp.

Brake warning symbol

ABS/EDL warning lamp
-K47

TCS/ESP warning lamp
-K86

off

off

off

- Problem with vehicle. The warning lamps light during the self test and then go out in the normal way. The fault may be caused by the following conditions:

- The voltage supply of control unit -J104 is between 7 and 10 Volt and the vehicle speed is < 6 km/h. Perform "Electrical check" Page 01-456.

Brake warning symbol

ABS/EDL warning lamp
-K47

TCS/ESP warning lamp
-K86

off

on

on

- Warning lamps do not go out after self test. . Red brake fault symbol does not light. Fault detected by self-diagnosis resulting in deactivation of ABS/EDL/TCS/ESP. Electronic brake pressure distribution function still active. Interrogate fault memory => Page 01-466, Test step 18. If actuation is defective refer to net example of warning lamps lighting.
- A dynamic speed sensor fault or a fault in ABS return pump -V39 was present during the last driving cycle. In this case the warning lamps will go out automatically after the vehicle is restarted, provided the vehicle reaches a speed above 2.75 km/h or the return pump is deemed to be OK.
Please also refer to the notes on the next page.

Brake warning symbol

ABS/EDL warning lamp
-K47

TCS/ESP warning lamp
-K86

off

on

on

Continued from previous page.
- If the supply voltage of control unit -J104 is between 7 and 10 volts the warning lamps will light up and a fault will be stored in the memory when road speed exceeds 6km/h for the first time after the ignition is switched on. If the supply voltage of control unit -J104 reaches a value above 10 Volt while the vehicle is moving, the warning lamps will go out. The fault will remain in the fault memory. "Interrogate fault memory" =>Page 01-290.

off

on

off

- ESP system test has not been implemented in full; basic setting => Page 01-398

Brake warning symbol

ABS/EDL warning lamp
-K47

TCS/ESP warning lamp
-K86

on

on

on

ABS/EDL and TCS/ESP lamps come on and red braking fault symbol also lights 3 seconds after switching on ignition.
- Fault has resulted in deactivation of ABS/EDL, TCS/ESP and electronic brake pressure distribution function.
- Interrogate fault memory => Page 01-290.
Important!
The function of the brake system is impaired. The brake pressure at the rear wheels is no longer controlled by the electronic brake force distribution function. This can result in the breaking away of the rear of the vehicle and thus cause accidents.
Note:On vehicles with an automatic gearbox the red brake fault symbol does not appear immediately after the ignition is switched on. The driver instruction "Apply foot brake when selecting gear with vehicle stationary" is given priority. Operate the footbrake and engage a gear. If the actuation of the red brake fault symbol is OK, the symbol will now light up.

Brake warning symbol

ABS/EDL warning lamp
-K47

TCS/ESP warning lamp
-K86

off

off

on

TCS/ESP lamp does not go out after self test.

- A fault in the system affecting only the TCS/ESP. The ABS and EDL systems are not switched off. Interrogate fault memory => Page 01-466, test step 20.

Brake warning symbol

ABS/EDL warning lamp
-K47

TCS/ESP warning lamp
-K86

on

on

off

- No faults are stored in the fault memory.The ABS/EDL lamp does not go out after the self-test and the red brake fault symbol lights approx. 3 seconds after switching on ignition.
- Open circuit or short to positive in wiring from contact 32 of control unit -J104 to dash panel insert (actuation of ABS control lamp) => Perform "Electrical check", Page 01-466, Test step 21.

on

off

off

No faults are stored in the fault memory. The red brake fault symbol lights up continuously after the ignition is switched on.
- Brake fluid level too low
- Fault in dash panel insert: Perform "Electrical check", Page 01-466, Test step 18.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12092/BD4B812E9A8946C98753B72DF4473D4B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/12092/EF0FF8D8C8A549B0A633B07D0E330AE3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/12092/92324C6A02F544C5A23C32E40CC33A95.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-24-2007, 02:28 PM
3rd Gear

The catalyst flash is covered under the 8/80 waranty. Call audi customer service and tell them that the dealer tried to charge you for the flash. As for the epc light still being on,i would bet you need a new throttle body, but in any case take it back. They quoted you a fix and its not fixed.

Old 11-24-2007, 06:10 PM
2nd Gear

find a new better dealer!

Old 11-24-2007, 08:14 PM
1st Gear

Wow....this was Barrier Audi...the top dealerin the Northwest. Anyone know the number for audi usa?