AudiForums.com

Go Back   AudiForums.com > Audi Models > Audi A6
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by Audi USA Parts
Click Here

Welcome to Audi Forums!
Welcome to Audi Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-25-2011, 12:54 PM
1st Gear

Default Coolant leak - 2002 Audi A6 3.0

Hello,

I have a 2002 Audi A6 3.0 and love it. No problems with the car since I got it. Now that it has 117K miles I see problems cropping up. My coolent started leaking a couple of days back. It's dripping after I drive for a while and stop. It leaks till the engine cools down. At least that's my guess. I suspected a water pump problem but the car doesn't heat up when I drive it.

Did anyone else have this problem? I am planning to also change the timing belts so is it OK to buy parts online like Bosch or Continental or should I go to the dealer for these? Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:16 PM
1st Gear

I had that problem with my 2000 A6. I noticed that the Reservoir tank had a few hair line cracks in the bottom of it... I got some plastic weld to try that, but that didn't help. So i just went and bought a new tank for it, and that solved my problem. Hope that helps!
Old 05-25-2011, 01:19 PM
1st Gear

Thank you forknif. I looked at the reservoir but there are no cracks or leaks from it. The leak is right under the belt next to the oil filter when looking from top with the hood up.

Thank you for the advise and I'll look at the reservior again just to make sure...
Old 05-25-2011, 01:39 PM
1st Gear

ya i noticed I had a ton! of dried coolant right under my tank, so i knew it was coming from there, you might have a loose clamp somewhere.. but anything past that, good luck! i hope someone has a solution for you
Old 05-26-2011, 06:08 AM
1st Gear

Points: 1,834, Level: 25 Points: 1,834, Level: 25 Points: 1,834, Level: 25
Level up: 34%, 66 Points needed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Daily Activity: 2.0%
Daily Activity: 2.0% Daily Activity: 2.0% Daily Activity: 2.0%

Pay attention to the quality of new water pump in the TB kit.
Some report the water pump problems within a year after TB service.

The O-ring in the thermostat:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...s-Is-it-normal

Another place
http://forums.quattroworld.com/a6/msgs/29790.phtml

12 A4 2.0T Quat (In)
02 A6 Avant 3.0 Quat (Out)
07 Outback 2.5 Limited (For Sale)

Last edited by bigdadi; 05-26-2011 at 06:44 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:16 AM
1st Gear

Thank you so much for your post! The first link you sent that's exactly where I have a leak from. I think I'll go get the impeller today and hopefully fix the problem.

Thanks again!
Old 03-22-2012, 06:14 PM
1st Gear

Points: 395, Level: 7 Points: 395, Level: 7 Points: 395, Level: 7
Level up: 90%, 5 Points needed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Daily Activity: 1.1%
Daily Activity: 1.1% Daily Activity: 1.1% Daily Activity: 1.1%

Bringing this thread back from the dead ... My wife's 2002 A6 3.0 has developed a very small leak on the front, middle area of the engine. I pulled off the plastic undercarriage guard and wiped everything down to see a source of the problem. Nothing is jumping out at me, until I saw this link: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...s-Is-it-normal

I want to see if this is the problem, but I can't find where the therostat is based on the pics.

My wife is taking my car tomorrow, so I'll drive around and see if I can force the issue and get a bit of a leak to show up. I had it idle in my driveway for about 20 minutes and it was dry as a bone under there. No coolant in the oil either, no loss of power or smoke out of the exhaust (phew). Thanks for the help!
Old 03-22-2012, 06:14 PM

Tags
02, 2002, 30, a6, audi, coolant, cost, issues, leak, leaking, maintence, spill, tt, types, water