Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling System Bleed Points

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 09:15 AM
1st Gear
Question Cooling System Bleed Points

So I need to bleed my cooling system since I still have an air pocket. Other than the bleed point next to the battery behind the firewall, are there other bleed points that are easily accessible on the '98 2.8L?

Can I just run the car with the cap off and rev it with the heater on for a while to expel the air bubble?

Thanks.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:54 AM
1st Gear
Default Bleeder Screw

Hi. On the 2.8L if you stand at the front of the car/engine and look down between the power steering pump and left cylinder head, there shuld be a coolant pipe there. Screwed into the top of that coolant pipe is a bleeder screw to evacuate air from the system. I believe its an allen fitting, but I'm not sure of the size. Once you have it open or loosened, simply fill the coolant resovoir until coolant begins to flow from the bleeder plug. Then you simply tighten it up. Once this is done, just keep a check on your temp gauge and coolant level...topping off when necessary to ensure that all of the air has been burped from your cooling system.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:07 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by TwinTurboC5
Hi. On the 2.8L if you stand at the front of the car/engine and look down between the power steering pump and left cylinder head, there shuld be a coolant pipe there. Screwed into the top of that coolant pipe is a bleeder screw to evacuate air from the system. I believe its an allen fitting, but I'm not sure of the size. Once you have it open or loosened, simply fill the coolant resovoir until coolant begins to flow from the bleeder plug. Then you simply tighten it up. Once this is done, just keep a check on your temp gauge and coolant level...topping off when necessary to ensure that all of the air has been burped from your cooling system.
So when you say "left cylinder head", if i'm standing in front of car I would looking to the right of engine bay?

Is this coolant pipe a small "L" shaped pipe?

Thanks again.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:08 AM
1st Gear

Also, where is the power steering pump located? is it right dead center of front of the engine?

Old 12-04-2011, 11:13 AM
1st Gear

Standing at the front of the engine and facing the windshield the left cylinder head will be to your right. The power steering pump should be centered and at the top of the engine. If you look down once you locate the coolant pipe, the bleeder screw should be on the top....basically looking you in the face.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:15 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by TwinTurboC5
Standing at the front of the engine and facing the windshield the left cylinder head will be to your right. The power steering pump should be centered and at the top of the engine. If you look down once you locate the coolant pipe, the bleeder screw should be on the top....basically looking you in the face.
I found it! Thanks! It looks like that coolant pipe is a metal pipe and not a rubber hose that I was expecting.