Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Battery now dashboard is dead

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 03:19 PM
1st Gear
Default Dead Battery now dashboard is dead

Hi All,

I'm a new member and have a 2006 A6. I was out of the country for 3 months, and when I got back, the battery was dead in the car. Figured not a big deal...picked up a new battery, hooked it up and now the car is a total mess.

None of the gauges work (RPM, Gas, Speedo...etc). The center diagnostic/navigation screen is blank, Traction Control light is on, ECP light is on...it's like the whole system just totally crashed. I don't even get the indicator on the shifter as to what position it's in (D, R, N...).

Any ideas on how to reboot or reset the poor thing?

I did try to search around this forum, but didn't see anything that really seemed to apply...so if I missed a post or two that covers that I apologize in advance.

Thank you for any help or ideas.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:30 AM
1st Gear

Do you have access to any VAG Com or other diagnostics equipment. If so a good starting point would be to scan and check the individual controllers in the car for faults. And FYI, some models require reprogramming after a battery exchange. Not sure if your A6 does but it may be something to look into.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:19 AM
1st Gear
Default Update

hi all,

stopped by the local Autozone to check for any codes...but as I suspected, the only code was referring to an evaporator issue (something that I had known about)...P2006 and P2007.

I have checked the fuses and they're all good and the car runs fine. I took it out for a little while to see if it would act up (as it seems to do in a number of other posts I reviewed). The car runs fine.

What can I be missing here? The instruments are just dead with the traction control, EPC, Brake lights remaining on even when the key is removed from the ignition. The Parking Break light does turn on/off when the break is engaged and from outside, the signals work...but nothing on the dashboard to indicate that.

Any thoughts on this? I would greatly appreciate any input.

Thank you