Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Definitive Guide to Disable TPMS in 2007 AUDI A6

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 10:46 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation Definitive Guide to Disable TPMS in 2007 AUDI A6

My TPMS sensors in my 2007 AUDI A6 are not in the wheels i bought and i would like to know if there is a way to disable the system in the car because i know my air in the tire is correct it keeps beeping after 15 min or so and the TPMS light comes on the dash. My mechanic said if i can find out the code he needs to change he can do it he has the vag com thanks for any help

Old 03-11-2013, 01:10 PM
1st Gear

I was having a similar TPMS issue with my 2008 A6. I had my winter tires put on this season and from that point on the tpms malfunction lamp in the instrument cluster and center display unit persisted no matter how many resets I performed in the MMI; despite confirming that each tire's pressure (including spare in trunk) was o.k. and that the sensors were at the right frequency and actually transmitting; and regardless of how much praying, cursing and ugly looks I gave my car for the past 3 months. From reading the forums looking for an answer I realized I wasnt the only one ready to snap if I had to look at those amber lights and hear that obnoxious beep every time I started my car

I cant promise this will work for any other model, but this is exactly what I did step by step and it worked for me the same day I picked up my Vag-Com.

First, I went into the secondary fusebox and pulled the tpms fuse. The fusebox is located along the side of the glovebox that meets the door when closed. It is easier to pry open if the glove box is open. The fuse to remove is the 3rd slot on the top (black plastic not brown) fuse setup. There are pink retainer clips that span the fuse setups in my car; they easily come out and go back in with a little fidgeting. I wouldnt stress if they were missing from your car. The fuse is an orange 5 watt and it was located in the 3rd position from the left.

Next I used my Vag Com. I went first into the Can Gateway and used to the long-coding helper to deselect the tire pressure monitoring bit. You simply uncheck the box. Second I looked at every instance in the installed control module section where tire pressure came up. In my car, it was control module 17. Notably, this same module appears in several different locations. I went into the module each time I found it and subtracted 16 from the first four numbers. Specifically, the original code value was 2065288, which became 2049288.

The two warning lights went away separately, as I accessed the different modules. Notably, it happened instantly for each as I selected the "Do it!" button in the respective module. The lights have not returned. It had been so long that I actually had to look up what was supposed to appear in the top of the center display in the manual. It shows your current radio station or, if listening to a CD, the track number / name

I tried to be as clear as possible, but feel free to hit me up if I can provide more info. Solidarity and whatnot.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:42 AM
1st Gear
Question

Originally Posted by KBG1978
I was having a similar TPMS issue with my 2008 A6. I had my winter tires put on this season and from that point on the tpms malfunction lamp in the instrument cluster and center display unit persisted no matter how many resets I performed in the MMI; despite confirming that each tire's pressure (including spare in trunk) was o.k. and that the sensors were at the right frequency and actually transmitting; and regardless of how much praying, cursing and ugly looks I gave my car for the past 3 months. From reading the forums looking for an answer I realized I wasnt the only one ready to snap if I had to look at those amber lights and hear that obnoxious beep every time I started my car

I cant promise this will work for any other model, but this is exactly what I did step by step and it worked for me the same day I picked up my Vag-Com.

First, I went into the secondary fusebox and pulled the tpms fuse. The fusebox is located along the side of the glovebox that meets the door when closed. It is easier to pry open if the glove box is open. The fuse to remove is the 3rd slot on the top (black plastic not brown) fuse setup. There are pink retainer clips that span the fuse setups in my car; they easily come out and go back in with a little fidgeting. I wouldnt stress if they were missing from your car. The fuse is an orange 5 watt and it was located in the 3rd position from the left.

Next I used my Vag Com. I went first into the Can Gateway and used to the long-coding helper to deselect the tire pressure monitoring bit. You simply uncheck the box. Second I looked at every instance in the installed control module section where tire pressure came up. In my car, it was control module 17. Notably, this same module appears in several different locations. I went into the module each time I found it and subtracted 16 from the first four numbers. Specifically, the original code value was 2065288, which became 2049288.

The two warning lights went away separately, as I accessed the different modules. Notably, it happened instantly for each as I selected the "Do it!" button in the respective module. The lights have not returned. It had been so long that I actually had to look up what was supposed to appear in the top of the center display in the manual. It shows your current radio station or, if listening to a CD, the track number / name

I tried to be as clear as possible, but feel free to hit me up if I can provide more info. Solidarity and whatnot.
i greatly appreciate this information and i will give i a try and post back the results my friend i have to drive 2400 miles next week in 4 days round trip and that sensor goes off constantly!!! just one question you mention the module appears in several different locations i am not a audi mechanic i am sure he will know what you're talking about as i am having him do it he will be looking at the post for sure. But what do you mean the module appears in several places and if so how many times and like you said must subtract each time from it when you see it:?

Old 03-13-2013, 12:44 AM
1st Gear

the subtracting from the first four number is confusing the hell out of me could you shed some light on the math behind that?

Old 03-13-2013, 08:19 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by saifxnyc
the subtracting from the first four number is confusing the hell out of me could you shed some light on the math behind that?
i went into the module each time i found it and subtracted 16 from the first four numbers. Specifically, the original code value was 2065288, which became 2049288.
2065 - 16 = 2049

We've all had those moments, lol.

Last edited by OGBULLYLOCDAWG; 03-13-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:38 PM
1st Gear

Thank you og bully I will go ahead and try this and post back results with in a week

Old 03-20-2013, 01:15 PM
1st Gear
Default Sorry for the slow reply

i greatly appreciate this information and i will give i a try and post back the results my friend i have to drive 2400 miles next week in 4 days round trip and that sensor goes off constantly!!! just one question you mention the module appears in several different locations i am not a audi mechanic i am sure he will know what you're talking about as i am having him do it he will be looking at the post for sure. But what do you mean the module appears in several places and if so how many times and like you said must subtract each time from it when you see it:?
What I mean by the control module appearing in several different locations is that when you access your car with a vag-com or the audi mechanic equivalent, there is essentially a main page that boots up and the control modules are a designated tab on that page. Once you select that tab, there are groupings of control modules that relate to different aspects of the car (ie engine, convenience, electronics, etc.) You literally need to go through each grouping and see if the right module (it was module 17 in my car) appears. If so, you need to click on it and subtract 16 from the first four numbers.

The reason the whole number subtraction thing seems so confusing is that you first have to look into the coding to see what designation they give to the TPMS system (in my car it was 16). When using a vag-com, when you click on the edit code function in a control module, a little window opens up and tells you what each of the values are.

Next you need to treat the total 7-digit code (2065288, which became 2049288) as individual pieces. Think of it like this: the first four digits are essentially related to the features your car has (associated with that specific module). You just have to completely ignore the last 3 digits.

Each feature has its own number. When you add up all of the numbers, you get the first four digits as a total. By subtracting the number associated with the tpms (16) the code recognizes that you have shut off the tpms, but the other features remain intact. Dont ask me how... it just does Honestly, I assume that its simple math and that audi chose the related numbers so that there are only so many possible combinations and that even if you were to subtract multiple features it would still know which remain active.

I hope this post gets to you before your trip (and is helpful). I would have replied sooner but was out of town for business.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:36 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by KBG1978
What I mean by the control module appearing in several different locations is that when you access your car with a vag-com or the audi mechanic equivalent, there is essentially a main page that boots up and the control modules are a designated tab on that page. Once you select that tab, there are groupings of control modules that relate to different aspects of the car (ie engine, convenience, electronics, etc.) You literally need to go through each grouping and see if the right module (it was module 17 in my car) appears. If so, you need to click on it and subtract 16 from the first four numbers.

The reason the whole number subtraction thing seems so confusing is that you first have to look into the coding to see what designation they give to the TPMS system (in my car it was 16). When using a vag-com, when you click on the edit code function in a control module, a little window opens up and tells you what each of the values are.

Next you need to treat the total 7-digit code (2065288, which became 2049288) as individual pieces. Think of it like this: the first four digits are essentially related to the features your car has (associated with that specific module). You just have to completely ignore the last 3 digits.

Each feature has its own number. When you add up all of the numbers, you get the first four digits as a total. By subtracting the number associated with the tpms (16) the code recognizes that you have shut off the tpms, but the other features remain intact. Dont ask me how... it just does Honestly, I assume that its simple math and that audi chose the related numbers so that there are only so many possible combinations and that even if you were to subtract multiple features it would still know which remain active.

I hope this post gets to you before your trip (and is helpful). I would have replied sooner but was out of town for business.
I don't have vagcom I went to the dealer even his Audi dealer tools could not do anything my personal mechanic found the coding but could not code it for some reason it would not allow him to put the number there at all for some reason the trip is today from Pittsburgh to Oklahoma it's gonna suck *** on my 07 A6 wish there was a way I might just have to end up buying these sensors some day

Old 03-27-2013, 04:36 PM
1st Gear

I don't have vagcom I went to the dealer even his Audi dealer tools could not do anything my personal mechanic found the coding but could not code it for some reason it would not allow him to put the number there at all for some reason the trip is today from Pittsburgh to Oklahoma it's gonna suck *** on my 07 A6 wish there was a way I might just have to end up buying these sensors some day
I strongly suggest you look at the local (Pittsburgh?) audi or VW forums/clubs to see if you cant find someone with a vag com. I've even seen people list vag com help on craigslist. Most people will do it for nothing, some want $25 buck or beer or whatnot.