Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differences Between S4 and A6

Old 04-04-2006, 04:59 PM
Default Differences Between S4 and A6

I m looking at getting either a 2001/2002 S4 or a 01/02 A6. Besides the obvious, what are the main differences between the two. From what I understand the engine is the same, and you can get the A6 with quattro, so will the handling/power be much different? How does the A6 handle? Is it much lighter than the S4? Basically, I m kind of stuck in my decision between the two. What are the pros/cons of each model? Thank you for any help.

Old 04-04-2006, 06:10 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Differences Between S4 and A6

A6s are heavier than the S4, but you get a wider body. The handling is pretty good...even better with suspension mods. The A6 will have more room for people and junk, and should be more comfy on long drives. It all depends on what you want to do with it.

Old 04-04-2006, 06:31 PM

As far as long rides go, I dont do alot of that, and 90% of the time I m the only person in the car. I m looking for something thats quick and sporty, and that handles decent. The main emphasis is on the fun factor. Thanks. The 2.7TT engines are the same in the a6/s4?

Old 04-05-2006, 01:06 AM
2nd Gear

Yeah, same motor. I would go with an S4 then...more sporty, and they hold value better than A6s.

Old 04-05-2006, 02:23 AM
1st Gear

Although the S4 shares the "same" engine as the 2.7T A6, the engine management is NOT the same....the characteristics/curve is enhanced with the S4, so it's a bit faster.

In addition, the S4 weighs less, so again, it's faster.

I considered an S4 myself....drove several of them too...both manual and tip.....

I loved the manual, but thought it was a little tight, especially considering the fact that I have a wife and son who sometimes ride in my car (we usually drive together in my SUV though).

If you are the predominant driver AND passenger, and you are looking for FUN FACTOR, I'd choose the S4....STOCK it's PLENTY fast....the number of aftermarket mods (chips, suspension, etc) are HUGE too...

The A6 is a great car (I personally ended up buying an A6 4.2), but it lacks the "fun factor" that I felt the S4 had in SPADES.....

Good luck....either way, you'll LOVE your Audi (whichever one you end up buying).

Shoman

Old 04-05-2006, 02:27 AM
1st Gear

Although the S4 shares the "same" engine as the 2.7T A6, the engine management is NOT the same....the characteristics/curve is enhanced with the S4, so it's a bit faster.

In addition, the S4 weighs less, so again, it's faster.

I considered an S4 myself....drove several of them too...both manual and tip.....

I loved the manual, but thought it was a little tight, especially considering the fact that I have a wife and son who sometimes ride in my car (we usually drive together in my SUV though).

If you are the predominant driver AND passenger, and you are looking for FUN FACTOR, I'd choose the S4....STOCK it's PLENTY fast....the number of aftermarket mods (chips, suspension, etc) are HUGE too...

The A6 is a great car (I personally ended up buying an A6 4.2), but it lacks the "fun factor" that I felt the S4 had in SPADES.....

Good luck....either way, you'll LOVE your Audi (whichever one you end up buying).

Shoman

Old 04-05-2006, 04:53 AM

Thanks for all the input, I ve been wanting an S4 ever since I got spanked by one in my old 92 Talon TSi AWD! But, I was kind of thinking about the A6 beacuase of the similarities, lower prices, and availability. That said, I think I m going to start searching for my S4!

Old 04-06-2006, 05:28 PM
6th Gear

Keep in mind you can buy a chip for the engine and be putting out over 300hp (since you said you wanted something quick)

Old 04-06-2006, 06:15 PM
1st Gear

If you arelooking for quick and agile, go with the S4. If you are looking for quick, not as agile, but roomier trunk and passenger cabin, go with the A6.

Old 04-07-2006, 03:10 AM

well, I ve been thinking about it more and more, and I m going to go test drive an a4 this weekend, se we shall see, thanks again for all the input.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Differences Between S4 and A6