Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 1997 (R reg) Climate Control noises

Old 01-06-2011, 07:32 AM
1st Gear
Default C5 1997 (R reg) Climate Control noises

Hi there,
I've had a lot of work done recently on my A6 C5 (R reg 97 plate).
Water pump, thermostat, cam belts, throttle body, mass air sensor etc.
Every time I take it in to fix something, something else new starts making a noise!

Now it's the climate control system. When it's off there's no noise but when it's on there is a noise like a fan or bearing is going - sometimes it'll last for a couple of seconds but more recently the noise is getting longer.
Oddly, putting the climate control in Econ mode stops the noise.

I've plugged in the OBD-II cable and I'm not getting any errors on the diagnostics so I'm unsure what it could be.

I'd really like to be able to diagnose the problem so I don't end up spending a fortune at the garage for the privilege!
Any help gratefully received

Yours,
Chris

Last edited by ChrisSoutham; 01-06-2011 at 07:47 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:48 AM
2nd Gear

I don't have any experience ripping my vents apart. But it sounds like a fan bearing is shot. When they start to go they usually make noise at first then quiet down after a while and progressively worsen and make more noise when cold. I have to replace one on my truck right now.

Fortunately it's a Chevy and it's right there But that's not the case in an Audi For sure.

You should start by locating the fan fuses listen for the noise and then pull the fuse and see if it stops. also turning the fan down to low and then off would at least tell you it's one of the fan motors causing the noise.

You also need to figure out which fan turns off when you press the ECON button

The ECM does not work the climate control. I am pretty sure that you need to pull the radio and hook to a harness or something like that. But it wouldn't tell you your bearing is bad anyway.

I hope at least you have a direction to start chasing your problem now.