Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do i have a blown Turbo?

Old 12-16-2012, 03:08 PM
1st Gear
Default Do i have a blown Turbo?

Hi i have a 2000 A6, can anyone tell me if i have a blown turbo would that cause a flashing CEL? and the car is also running rough at idle and low speed,and there is a pretty loud rattling noise that gets louder when i give it gas at idle, i was on the highway when the CEL started flashing i didnt notice a big diffrence in performence till i got off the highway,thats when i noticed it running rough and heard the noise, I would appreciate any help

Last edited by A6mark; 12-16-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:30 PM
1st Gear

CEL flashing is typically a misfire. Check all the connections on your coil packs and look at your spark plugs. Try to get a code scanner on it to see what it pulls up. P030X (x being a variable) means its a misfire. P0301 is cylinder one, p0302 is cylinder 2, so on and so forth

Old 12-16-2012, 03:39 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by evelluser
CEL flashing is typically a misfire. Check all the connections on your coil packs and look at your spark plugs. Try to get a code scanner on it to see what it pulls up. P030X (x being a variable) means its a misfire. P0301 is cylinder one, p0302 is cylinder 2, so on and so forth
thks for that info i was asking because my friend told me the rattling noise could be a bad turbo

Last edited by A6mark; 12-16-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:13 PM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by A6mark
thks for that info i was asking because my friend told me the rattling noise could be a bad turbo
if its rattling, it would have to be seriously gone. you know if it were that bad. typically a bad turbo is indicated by a loud whistling noise when the turbo is spooled. if the seals are bad you will get smoke, sometimes a ton of smoke

Old 12-16-2012, 08:31 PM
1st Gear

The rattling noise is probably a knock developed from the misfire. You need to get this looked at before driving the car anymore. Or it could possibly be a spark plug that split apart and has parts bouncing around inside the cylinder. Take all your plugs out and look at them

Old 12-16-2012, 11:32 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by redline380
if its rattling, it would have to be seriously gone. you know if it were that bad. typically a bad turbo is indicated by a loud whistling noise when the turbo is spooled. if the seals are bad you will get smoke, sometimes a ton of smoke
i dont have smoke or whistling my friend thought maybe he fan blades in the turbo broke thanks for the tip i appreciate it

Old 12-16-2012, 11:36 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by evelluser
The rattling noise is probably a knock developed from the misfire. You need to get this looked at before driving the car anymore. Or it could possibly be a spark plug that split apart and has parts bouncing around inside the cylinder. Take all your plugs out and look at them
really i havent used it since it happened the shop is about 3 miles from my house i was thinking i went easy and didnt push it i could ease it over there, are the plugs spitting a common thing?l

Old 12-17-2012, 01:26 AM
1st Gear

Check for codes.

One cylinder misfiring try switching the plug and coil with another cylinder. If the misfire moves switch the coil back to the origonal misfiring cylinder. If it moves back replace coil. If it stays replace plug.

If multiple cylinders misfiring try switching the icms(little computer chip things on top of your airbox). If the misfires move to the other bank replace ICM.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:51 AM
1st Gear
Default update

well i brought it to the shop this morning, they only took a quick look while i was there, and they think it may be and idler, i hope to hear more later today

Old 12-17-2012, 11:55 AM
1st Gear

You need to get the codes from them and post here before they start replacing things left and right on ya when we could tell you exactly what's going on just by the vagcom results and a couple of tests

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do i have a blown Turbo?