Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyamic headlight range control faulty

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 11:25 PM
3rd Gear
Default Dyamic headlight range control faulty

The warning is now on permanently. It was intermittent a couple months ago and my indie cleared the code, but it came back last week. The error is with the left front headlight, which I was told means the headlight assembly has to be replaced. That's a little pricey. Does anyone know how to suppress this stupid icon -- or even all the yellow warnings that pop in the upper center computer readout?? I can live without knowing my windshield washer is almost empty, or even if the front brakes need replacing (I get them checked regularly anyway).

Old 11-24-2010, 08:26 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the question. The same light is on permanently on my A8, and I'm very interested to hear how I can make it go away.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:31 PM
3rd Gear

I would assume you can disable the respective sensors, or you can find which relay/s is/are responsible for those features and cancel out the connection.
I remember seeing a DIY on how to eliminate a certain prong on a relay - IIRC, it was about disabling the open door chime. Maybe it was on audiworld...can't remember, but the procedure should be similar.

Anyway, isn't that like a motorized mechanism that angles automatically the lens up or down based on the road profile, load weight, etc? Maybe the motor within the headlight is toast. That's why if you don't know how to fix it (or the indie) adjusting the headlights manually (you do have 2 adjusting plastic screws on top, don't you?) and cancelling the feature via relay may save you this "headache".

Old 11-25-2010, 12:22 PM
2nd Gear

There is no way that I have been able to find to disable the warning light for the range control or windsheild washer fluid level. I have both on more or less permenently. I can fill the washer fluid reservoir and that will get rid of the warning light for a couple of days then the fluid all leaks out of somewhere and the light comes back on. Wait - I know -- remove the level sensor, wire it in the full position then stuff it back in! Now, for that pesky range sensor....

Old 12-02-2010, 03:36 PM
3rd Gear

Bumping this to the top one last time. My shop was unsuccessful in permanently turning off the right front headlight leveling sensor and a new headlight assembly is $600. Can this be permanently turned off via VAGCOM? I did ask him to disconnect and clean the terminals to the sensor, but it looks like I may have to live with that annoying headlight icon and lose the radio station read-out.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:05 PM
2nd Gear

Did he try to disconnect the range controller in the trunk?

As for VAG-COM, I, somehow, managed to get in and disable the auto-adjust function so now the headlights don't try to adjust themselves and wind up pointing straight down. Do not ask me how I did it, but I did it, so it is possible, so it is probably possible to tell the ECU to ignore the range controller entirely and that should get rid of the icon. Maybe I'll take another hack at it this weekend. If I am successful, I will let you know.

Bob

Old 12-03-2010, 09:52 AM
3rd Gear

All he did was clean the connectors at my request. He did not have time to trace wiring. I'll bring the car back to him in a couple weeks when I have some vacation time and can leave it. So, if you can provide the secret it will save me some $ by eliminating the trial+error method he will have to use. Just as a note, my headlights seem aimed correctly based on the patten on the ground and no one is blinking their brights at me, so I'm not convinced anything is wrong other than a failed sensor. I did not even know I had adjustable headlights (I have the Xenons) although I have had the car for 5 years and have driven it 144k miles.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:46 PM
2nd Gear

First question is, what codes are you getting? From your description, it does not sound like you have a sensor problem, as a sensor problem tends to put the headlights in the max down position lighting about 10 feet in front of the car.
Second, you will need VAG-COM software, the paid for version, and a cable.
Third, clear the codes. and see if they reappear. If so, go to the measurement blocks, go to block 002, then turn on graphing. You will see the sensor readings on a graph. Drive around some and see if one of the sensors has a bad spot (goes to 0.0). If so, you know you have a sensor problem. If not, proceed to the next step.
Fourth, go through the headlight adjusting process as described on the Ross-Tech site (I can't remember it off the top of my head). This got rid of my warning light so far today.
Fifth, if the above doesn't work, there is a code that can be changed to tell the ECU that you do not have the range control but I have not figured out what code you need to put in place of the existing code. If you have CAN_BUS (not sure if 03s have it but 02s do not), you can recode the 00 byte (there are instructions on a VW site on how to do this) to tell the ECU you do not have the range control but I do not, yet, know how to do the equivilent in a non-CANBUS car.

Bob

Old 02-17-2011, 04:35 PM
3rd Gear

SUCCESS!!! Someone on the audizine forum suggested removing fuse #10 and the warning icon is gone (and my radio stations are back). I cannot tell you if it impacted the motor and leveling since until I saw the light, I never saw any evidence that the system worked. Both of them appear to be at the same height as before and no one is flashing me with their brights.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:31 AM
1st Gear

ppgoal: Can you tell me what system(s) Fuse #10 is for on your A6? Trying to figure out if there is a similar fix for my A8. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Dyamic headlight range control faulty