Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emergency Brake (E-Brake) Light Blinking when engine on

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 03:36 PM
1st Gear
Default Emergency Brake (E-Brake) Light Blinking when engine on

History:
I had my brake light go off about a month ago, as a result I replaced the front pads and rotors. The rear brakes were in very bad shape at that point, but I didn't have the resources to take care of it. After the front brake replacement the stupid yellow light went out, and all was well. I noticed that the front brakes were dusting quite badly, so I decided to get the back brakes done.

Issue:
Yesterday I got the rear pads and rotors replaced, during the replacement the mech forgot to open the resivoir at first, and after he tried to push the cylinder back, he opened the resivour and continued the repair. After the repair the car beeped and then the parking brake light flashed.

Troubleshooting:
- I've checked the fluid levels, they appear to be fine
- The manual seems to indicate that if the light is on after the engine is engaged the fluids may be low, but it does not mention anything about the light blinking.
- I've googled, some people think that it might be the slave cylinder, the ABS sensor, and something about the piston being extended to the max as a result of me waiting too long to replace the rear brakes, and I've read that it takes some time to break in the brakes and the film may be tripping out some kind of sensor.
- I've engaged the parking brake, at this point the light stops flashing and goes solid, if I bring it back down, the light begins to flash again

Suggestions to troubleshoot this further

Old 07-21-2008, 06:44 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Emergency Brake (E-Brake) Light Blinking when engine on

Temporary Solution:
Black electrical tape over the stupid blinking light so I don't constantly look down and think my turning signal is on.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:00 PM
T_W
1st Gear

Same problem. Did you ever find a solution that did not involve electrical tape?

Old 01-29-2009, 06:50 AM
2nd Gear

Try operating the e-brake about 20 times to get the handle tighter.

Bob

Old 02-03-2009, 11:04 PM
T_W
1st Gear

According to dealer, emergency brake cable was frozen and had to be replaced.