Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Flooded??

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 10:09 PM
1st Gear
Default Engine Flooded??

2000 a-6 2.7 Twin Turbo
Wife's car
She couldn't start it today and I finally got it running and it acted as though it was flooded.
No idiot lights came on dash, and once car was running, I drove it and it was perfect. Turned it off and it started again fine.
This has happened intermittently 3 times now in last 3 weeks.
I thought fuel injected cars could not get flooded; only carbureted cars.

Any ideas on what is happening here and how to fix it, as she is now afraid to drive the car for fear it will leave her stranded and not start.
Thank you in advance,
Kurt

Old 04-20-2010, 10:56 PM
2nd Gear

I know you said no idiot lights but I don't think there is anything idiotic about this car. Your right about the injectors, if a car is functioning correctly the ecu should not tell the injectors to give fuel. How many miles and what maintenance has been done or not done?

First impressions I am going to say fuel. Has your fuel filter ever been changed? How about the fuel pump or any of the seals that hold the pressure?

Old 04-21-2010, 10:52 AM
3rd Gear

Do you have a vag-com or know of someone close who does? Many engine codes get set without it tripping the CEL. So you answer might be there, you just don't know it.

If you own a laptop, I see no reason for anyone not to own a cheap ebay vag-com cable. They're 20.00 with free limited options shareware version of the vag-com software.

http://www.alpha-bid.com/vagusb.html

Last edited by Jeffla; 04-21-2010 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:21 PM
1st Gear

If a Vag-Com is a code reader , I do have one of those but did not think to use it since the check engine light did not come on.
I am at the office now but will check it when I get home.
Thanks for the suggestion
Kurt

Old 04-21-2010, 01:24 PM
1st Gear

Car has slightly more than 100K miles. Regularly serviced by dealer but I don't think fuel filter or fuel pump have ever been serviced.
It runs perfect after it gets started; acts like it is flooded. I am old so I am going by how my other cars acted in the old days when the carb was flooded.
It did it again this morning and then finally it stumbled and ran smooth; drove it all the way to work today as wife refused to drive it. I may end up walking home
Kurt

Old 04-21-2010, 02:18 PM
3rd Gear

Vag com is basically a code reader. If you retrieve no codes, some people have starting issues like yours when their coolant temperature sensor starts going bad. They are known to not set any codes when failing but cause starting issues.

If the car is mistaken what temperature the engine is, it might dump too much gas into the cylinders or too little. But who knows. It's too early to say, and I'm just guessing.

Last edited by Jeffla; 04-21-2010 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:13 PM
1st Gear

Where is the fuel filter located on this model?
It is a 2000 2.7
I assume pump is OK sinc eit runs excellent and is peppy once it gets started.
Only problem is getting it started.
Would Techron do any good?
Just arrived home form work,
Going out now to see if I have any codes in the computer.
Kurt

Last edited by kbunting; 04-21-2010 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-21-2010, 05:31 PM
1st Gear

Just did a code scan with a Actron CP9180 and there were no codes. Did it twice just to be sure.
Car started and ran fine just now. Tomorrow morning it will again act like it is flooded. Did so today after work when I started it; stumbled; tried several times and then ran fine and drove it home 20 miles at higways speeds and local roads also. Ran perfect.
I am stumped,
Kurt

Old 04-21-2010, 06:58 PM
3rd Gear

You most likely have a temp sensor going bad. Try changing the ETC. It won't throw a code...until everything goes bad.

In the olden days it was like trying to start a vehicle without the choke.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:16 PM
1st Gear

NH USA
Where is the ETC located that you mentioned?
Is it something I can replace or is it dealer only?
Kurt

Quick Reply: Engine Flooded??