Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine won't turn off

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 04:50 PM
Default Engine won't turn off

Hi all:
Let me just say that I am a first time poster and am extremely impressed with this site! I am already learning all sorts of great stuff.
Just bought my 99 A6 (only 44,000 miles) a few months ago from a good friend who rarely drove it and took very good care of it. As I was parking last night I turned to the off position and realized the car was still running. The lights, CD players, etc. were all still on and running. I was a bit confused but I needed to turn off the car so I pulled the negative cable from the battery to turn off the car. It continued to run! I ended up pulling one of the engine timing fuses and I turned off. What is wrong with the car? And as I write this it sounds like I acted very stupidly. Thoughts? Thanks

Brett

Old 04-05-2008, 05:04 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Engine won't turn off

BUMP..... because i seriously wanna no what is wrong with this hahaha thats scary. SOMEONE HELP THIS GUY OUT!

Old 04-05-2008, 09:13 PM
1st Gear

Do you have a remote start or an aftermarket alarm?

Old 04-05-2008, 09:53 PM
2nd Gear

^^^ thats the only thing i can think of ... and if you do you probably screwed up audi already tempermental computers and now have yourself some sort of electrical problem ... either that or something funky with the ingnition ... that is wierd tho because the key is cut by laser i believe and if you take the key out it shoudl def turn off lol

Old 04-05-2008, 11:51 PM
1st Gear

No, it's actually possessed.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:11 AM
1st Gear

a 99 with 44k miles?? I think you car just wants to be driven!

Old 04-06-2008, 04:08 AM
1st Gear

My guess would be your car is parked for too long at your friend's house so once it got a chance to start the engine it doesn't wanna stop...

Old 04-06-2008, 07:02 AM

Thanks for any of the ideas guys. There is no aftermarket alarm or remote start on the car. I did get a new CD deck put in it last week.
Curious thing happened last night though... the car turned off when it should have, then I got back into the car to get my phone and the cluster and cd player turned on again!!!
Im assuming its something electrical- could those guys at best buy messed something up?

Old 04-06-2008, 08:08 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: audicaff

Thanks for any of the ideas guys. There is no aftermarket alarm or remote start on the car. I did get a new CD deck put in it last week.
Curious thing happened last night though... the car turned off when it should have, then I got back into the car to get my phone and the cluster and cd player turned on again!!!
Im assuming its something electrical- could those guys at best buy messed something up?

With a car as complex as an A6, sure, they could have messed something up. However, most of the time they're just plugging in harness adapters, so it's not like they're doing hardcore splicing or something. Might be worthwhile to go back there and have them check their work.

My suspicion is actually the ignition switch itself. I had a similar problem with my (dearly departed) Volvo 850. What happened was that the ignition switch basically sheared itself internally. They key turned and felt fine, unlocked the steering column like it should have, but the electrical contact points inside of the switch didn't line up with the key anymore. So, one fine day, I turned off the key, took it out of the ignition.....and the car was still running! Freaked me out. I had to pull the primary off the distributor cap to shut it off. When I did figure out what was wrong and pulled out the ignition switch, it fell apart in my hand.

It's worth a look.

-Red

Old 04-06-2008, 12:30 PM
1st Gear

You’ve got quite an unusual predicament here! Is the car a 2.7 T? Turbo timer, possibly the menace? If not, Red Shoe’s diagnosis seems the most plausible.
Good Luck, Keep us posted

Quick Reply: Engine won't turn off