Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ESP and ABS light just came on. wtf

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 08:32 PM
1st Gear
Default ESP and ABS light just came on. wtf

'03 A6 2.7T
All of the sudden Inoticed on the dashboard ESP and ABS lights are on.
I wastrying to figure out whatcould be acausebut except for having flat tire three weeks ago (driving with emergency foor a week) and changing rotors pads and left outer CV joint and both CV bootstwo months ago I don't recall anything what could possibly caused it.
The lights come on everytime after I start the engine and shift forward speed (tip).
They won't come on on reverse. But also, they won't go away if I shift from forward to reverse if they're already on.
Also cruise controlquit working at the same time.
I searched for some clues and so far I found several possibilities what might went bad.
1.ABS speedsensor - can you any1 tell me where can I find it? Might be just bad contact.
2.Ems.
3. Brake pedal switch - also - where is it located?
4. Leaks from transmission (??)
5. Bad DV (???)
Did I miss something?

I'd appreciate any input. I really don't want toadd another $1000 bill to my collection.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:14 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: ESP and ABS light just came on. wtf

The ABS sensor ring is on the outer CV shaft, you might have messed up either the sensor or the sensor ring while doing the cv boot install.
Now if the ESP light is flashing at you and beeps for a little while then goes off when you cycle the key its probably the ABS control module, they go out frequently.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:52 PM
1st Gear

sounds like a simple brake light sw. failure. vagcom to confirm brake light sw. failure

Old 09-22-2007, 12:26 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: auditech79

Now if the ESP light is flashing at you and beeps for a little while then goes off when you cycle the key its probably the ABS control module, they go out frequently.
No, no flashing or beeping. They will justcome on and stay on.

ORIGINAL:steviejayvaughan

sounds like a simple brake light sw. failure. vagcom to confirm brake light sw. failure
I thought so too. But what has brake light sw. to do with cruise control?

Old 09-25-2007, 02:03 PM
1st Gear

UPDATE: It's really a shame, but I just today found out, that the brake lights (in the rear of the car - not the dashboard) don't work. So I think that would pretty much confirm the brake switch failure.
Pardon my ignorance but where is it located (exactly)?
Any special treatment when swapping them?

NEVERMIND! I've found the post. Thanx for your help ya'll.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:09 PM

if the break lights come on intermittently this will put the ABS/ESP lights on because it thinks there is a problem when all it is is a failed break light bulb because they are in the circuit and chances are its a bad ground

Old 09-25-2007, 04:43 PM
1st Gear

I thought so too. But what has brake light sw. to do with cruise control?
The sensor in the brake pedal will cause the ABS light to come on, and sometimes the ESP light to come on. W/those lights on, the cruise control will not come on becuase the ESP will not allow it. It is considered unsafe to have the CC on while in wet/slippery conditions.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:14 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: avant80@2.6

if the break lights come on intermittently this will put the ABS/ESP lights on because it thinks there is a problem when all it is is a failed break light bulb because they are in the circuit and chances are its a bad ground
You mean it can be just a bad bulb? Naaah...
Isn't it supposed to show on the display? Or it will show only bad headlight bulb?
I don't think there is big chance all the break lightbulbs died at once.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:18 PM
1st Gear

The sensor in the brake pedal will cause the ABS light to come on, and sometimes the ESP light to come on. W/those lights on, the cruise control will not come on becuase the ESP will not allow it. It is considered unsafe to have the CC on while in wet/slippery conditions.
Makes sense.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:36 PM
1st Gear

ANOTHER UPDATE: Bought the brake switch from stealership, ($30) followed this http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1158315fantastic manual and guess what! Everything is fixed!
Thank you guys for support.
I'll be back.

Quick Reply: ESP and ABS light just came on. wtf