Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel gauge show empty

Old 06-01-2009, 11:47 AM
1st Gear
Default Fuel gauge show empty

Hi

I have a 2006 2.7TDi. The fuel gauage shows empty, it happened quite quick, within an hour from 1/2 tank to need to refuel, so refuelled full tank, now shows totally empty, nothing there and stays like that, no change.

Audi dealer says fuel sender not working, need to replace fuel pump!!!, why is this?

cheers

krish

Old 06-01-2009, 12:47 PM
3rd Gear

I think they try to gyp you.
You only need to replace the Fuel Level Sensor, which actually is ON TOP of the fuel pump. I bet they will charge you for a "new" pump and will leave the old one in.
The level sensor has a floater that is not dependent in any shape or form of what the fuel pump does.
I don't think the TDIs (diesel?) have a much different fuel pump/supply.
If they do, I apologize for the wrong info.

Last edited by chefro; 06-01-2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:40 PM
1st Gear

they said it comes within it or as one unit

Old 06-01-2009, 10:34 PM
3rd Gear

It looks like nobody selling parts lists the 2006 2.7 TDI model.
Unless it is strange, it looks like the dealer has a niche with this model. Maybe that's the way the pump indeed comes as a "whole" unit, but I would really like to see it at the dealer.
Vagcat.com is also "mute" about this particular engine, so... I'm affraid you'll have to "trust" them.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:18 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by krishcanag
Hi

I have a 2006 2.7TDi. The fuel gauage shows empty, it happened quite quick, within an hour from 1/2 tank to need to refuel, so refuelled full tank, now shows totally empty, nothing there and stays like that, no change.

Audi dealer says fuel sender not working, need to replace fuel pump!!!, why is this?

cheers

krish
I had the same problem in my 05 4.2. At least in the states Audi issued a TSB for 05 and 06 cars calling for a software update. If you want me to send you the TSB, which may save you the price of a fuel pump, send me a PM with your e-mail address and reference the gas gauge showing empty.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:15 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Kevin
I had the same problem in my 05 4.2. At least in the states Audi issued a TSB for 05 and 06 cars calling for a software update. If you want me to send you the TSB, which may save you the price of a fuel pump, send me a PM with your e-mail address and reference the gas gauge showing empty.
kevin

I don't really understand your post, I am in UK, we might have different engines

Old 06-02-2009, 07:24 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by krishcanag
kevin

I don't really understand your post, I am in UK, we might have different engines
In the states the fuel gauge reading a false empty is common in the 2005 and 2006 cars. It turned out that the false reading was caused by a software issue, not the fuel pump. Audi issued a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) on how to upgrade the fuel gauge software to fix the problem. It was done to my car, a 2005 4.2, a couple of years ago. I don't know if Audi had the same software problem in the UK.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:09 AM
1st Gear

For unknown reason, the fuel guage has started working again, after I re-filled the tank full again. Its been a couple of days and it is as normal, I am waiting for it to get to around 1/3 full when it last suddenly went down fast. I guess it still could be a problem with the fuel sender?
krishan

Old 11-29-2009, 10:30 AM
1st Gear

Same thing happened last night. Earlier in the day I backed the car out of the garage and parked it on an incline with the rear going downhill - no dash warning. About 10 hours later, started it up and immediately got a dash warning SERVICE with gas tank icon, fuel gauge on E, and miles left ZERO. After parking the car on level surface overnight gauge went to normal the next morning.
As with PO, there was approx. 1/3 tank of gas.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
In the states the fuel gauge reading a false empty is common in the 2005 and 2006 cars. It turned out that the false reading was caused by a software issue, not the fuel pump. Audi issued a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) on how to upgrade the fuel gauge software to fix the problem. It was done to my car, a 2005 4.2, a couple of years ago. I don't know if Audi had the same software problem in the UK.
Hello Kevin, I have an Audi A6 2006 2.0 TDI, I had a similar fault the other day. Gauge dropped from Half to Empty. Filled the tank which was actually only half empty and is now currently showing full. Not sure if the error will still be there when it gets back down to half... Can you advise if the TSB Technical Service Bulletin was applicable to this model and could you send it me?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel gauge show empty