Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 12:44 AM
1st Gear
Default Fuel tank

I have an 02 A6 2.7T. Anybody have any problems w/ a leaking fuel tank. First, dealer thought it was a sender unit gasket. That was replaced. It only leaks and gives a strong gas odor when tank is filled with gas. Now they say the tank is the issue. ????? Thanks-never seen this w/ any other car.

Old 12-28-2004, 11:43 AM
6th Gear
Default RE: Fuel tank

Is your car still under warranty?

Old 12-29-2004, 11:39 PM
1st Gear

Warranty over. Got 50K plus. But dealer says it is covered on warranty. My point is how can a fuel tank fail less than 3yrs old???
They had it for 2 days already. They said they need to drop the rear end in order to get to the tank. I miss my ride!!!! I just hope it drives the same after dropping the rear.

Old 01-02-2005, 12:30 AM
1st Gear

I got a few of those tanks in stock from damaged cars. It's one huge chunk of hollow plastic! Got to tear apart the entire rear suspension to get it out!

Old 01-02-2005, 01:51 AM
1st Gear

The dealer changed the tank. Now they say there is a vibration when accelerating after they test drove the car. Now, I guess they screwed up trying to put the rear end back together. So they have to figure out whats going on now. Another few days. At least they gave me a free rental. A 04 A6 3.0 w/ CVT. Real easy to spin the front tires. But, its not my baby! Gets frustrating waiting! Lates-- sloquat

Old 01-02-2005, 08:33 PM
1st Gear

Can't beleive that the fuel tank is leaking. ask to see the old one. There are 3 fuel guage senders on these tanks, all at different levels. The 2 lower ones can be accessed through the rear seat bench while the upper via the boot compartment. There are also 3 vent pipes and a vent valve. The rear axle has ro be removed to get at the tank. Hope this doesn't cost too much. Let me know the outcome.

regards

Old 01-07-2005, 12:53 AM
1st Gear

Shabaz,
It hasnt been fun. The day I went to p/u the car, it was on the rack to be aligned. After the alignment, the tech test drove it. When he returned, he took it back in the service bay. Not a good sign. It doesnt leak gas now according to the technician. But, now there is an issue w/ vibration when accelerating. I didnt get a chance to drive it, but the tech said when you accelerate, the car vibrates/shakes. Now the problem is with some kind of metal sleeve on the drive shaft. The part is backordered in the US. They have to locate one outside the US. It was suppose to come in today, but it didnt arrive. Next ETA is tomorrow(Friday). So now I'm thinking they screwed up when they dropped the rear-end. So, who knows. Damn frustrating. They had it about 2 weeks now. The first gasket they changed was the one through the rear seat. Makes me wonder if they know what they are doing. The only good thing about it is that they said it is covered under warranty.

Lates,

Sloquat