Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas odor

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 03:23 PM
Site Moderator

Well what year is your car beefski? If its a pre 96 than i don't really have an opinion on gas leaks as i haven't worked on too many of the older models.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:14 PM

I've been having the same issue, with my A6. Took my A6 in for a Diag (Resently Bought my A6 from Non-Audi Dealer) having the same issue of smelling Gas especially when I fill-up I sometimes wonder if will I make where I'm going fumes can make you want to pass out... Anyway Took to Audi they said the same thing about a recall of the Evap-Nipple sh!*.. I stopped smelling the gas for a couple of days, until I filled back up the tank and the scent was stronger than ever!!!! Now I'm back at Audi and ripping hell.. Await for my update... Riverside Audi I'm about to rock ya socks off!!!!

Old 01-19-2009, 02:51 PM

UPDATE!!!!

Okay it turns out the pervious owner had a System in the trunk with a Amps (The Whole Works) and it looks like the owner Drilled a screw to hold up something (Amp maybe) and drilled the screw directly into the fuel tank, They probably had no idea they where drilling into fuel tank.. fuel Tank is located behind the rear seat and in between the speakers... If the gas your smelling is coming from the rear of the Audi its probably you mistakenly drilled a whole in the fuel tank.....

Old 01-19-2009, 09:50 PM
Site Moderator

Well thats a mistake from a pimple headed idiot radio installer, i can imagine that the gas odor would be insane with a hole like that in the tank. I have seen that at the dealer once before though, thats the first thing i think when i see an A6 with really big chrome rims that looks absolutely rediculous.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:06 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by whitey
awesome - I'm at 188k now with no smell (keeping fingers crossed)
I need to learn to keep my mouth shut...I noticed the gas fumes when I walked out to the car the other day after I had started it to let it warm up but it went away once I started driving down the road.

Why would the recall apply to '01-'04 2.8l but not to the '98-'00 2.8l? What's the difference between the two?

Old 01-21-2009, 01:15 PM
1st Gear

Had the same problem with my 2002 A6 3.0. Gas all over the floor in my garage. Mid Atlantic Sales Manager here in VA recognized it was a problem and replaced my tank free of charge over a year ago. Took a full week to replace, as they have to drop everything in the rear. I recieved the Safety Recall notice (JY-20L8) in June of 2008. Don't know if there is a time limit on it. They will reimburse you if you paid out of pocket for the repairs. Hope this helps.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:46 PM
1st Gear

Just brought home a MINT (inside/out) 95 A6 w/ 114k miles on it.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:01 PM
2nd Gear

auditech79, I had a fuel pump (aftermarket) installed at the AUDI place. By mistake he got a little bit of gas under the back seat. I was wondering 1 how long would that smell take to go away and two do you think i just smell it really strongly when i drop the window down? Also why would the whole garage smell like gas? ( he got a tiny bit on the side of the car but it was wiped down when it happened.) I don't think the nipple is the problem but I just wanted to see what you thought. Either pm me or post back if you don't mind. Thank you

Old 03-14-2009, 04:26 PM
Site Moderator

If he got gas on the pad under the seat it takes a few weaks for it to go away. What i do is pull up the rear bench seat, open both doors and set up a fan over night and let it air out. It should be good in a couple days if you do that. Pulling up the rear bench seat is a snap, just pull up on it and you will see where the gas stain is on the pad.
When someone changes the pump they have to take out the main O-ring to get at it, so make sure no gas is leaking under the car either.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:22 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by auditech79
If he got gas on the pad under the seat it takes a few weaks for it to go away. What i do is pull up the rear bench seat, open both doors and set up a fan over night and let it air out. It should be good in a couple days if you do that. Pulling up the rear bench seat is a snap, just pull up on it and you will see where the gas stain is on the pad.
When someone changes the pump they have to take out the main O-ring to get at it, so make sure no gas is leaking under the car either.
After letting the car sit I noticed zero gas leaking from the car. Even when staging a launch or reving it, the smell of gas wasn't un-noticable outside the car. Thank you for that great idea to use a fan over night that should make it quiet speedy! Also we replaced the original O-ring with a new one so I don't believe that is a issue but can easily pop the cap off and take a look. I watch my tech do everything so i get educated while watching him . Thank you for educating me a little more about my car.

Thank you for your help,
Sam

Quick Reply: Gas odor