Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas odor

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 11:59 AM

I'm currently reliving the recall nightmare since having the recall (bubble gum) repair done on my wife's 03 A6. We didn't have a gas odor but responded to the recall and had the glue repair done. Now a couple of months later we have a gas odor and Audi dealer wants me to pay for a tank replacement, since the nipple leak is on the driver side of the tank this time. The recall doesn't say which "Rollover Valve" to repair, but dealers first fix says, "Performed JY Campaign to Reinforce Fuel Rollover Valve".
Now three months later it's not a recall problem? The NTSB says that recall problems for safety related recalls do not have an expiration date and are the responsibility of Audi. Now the fight is on...I'm waiting to hear from the regional rep before I bump this up to the next level of aggravation (NTSB). I can't believe that the Audi dealer is taking the "not our problem" approach, and to make matters worse I also just bought a 04 Avant that is covered under the same recall. If Audi doesn't make this right I will never return to the dealer again...any Audi dealer, trouble is only they have the tank, which is what the fix should have been in the first place. You pay the big bucks for quality, but the attention to the customer disappears with expiration of the warranty.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:14 PM
Site Moderator

Try a different audi dealer, they sound like a buch of *** holes.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:43 AM
1st Gear
Default Gas Odor

Stopped by the Audi dealer a week ago inquiring about any open recalls. They said the (bubble gum) repair was the only one open. I had the gas tank replaced in December of 07, courtesy of Audi. I think I'm going to pass on the bubble gum repair, unless someone out there in AudiForums says it's imperative I get it done. BTW I have an 2002 A6 Quattro with the 3.0...... hope all goes well for you.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:32 PM
Site Moderator

Gluing the stupid nipple won't help, i used to complain to audi of north america all the time about this because there is 4 nipples total and you can only get to two of them by lightly dropping the tank and getting at it from above. Plus repairing the one nipple won't stop the other three from leaking. You would need a new tank, end of story. Its not necessary to have the tank changed, it will just have a slight gas smell when the gas tank is more than 3/4 full.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Default Fuel leak fiasco

Just received word today that the next level up from the local dealer (Crown Audi Clearwater) will not offer assistance with my fuel leak problem. I assume this is some Souther region representative who understimates my tenacity and doesn't give a rats *** about customer satisfaction. Now I'm on to Audi USA for my next ration of horse **** before I go back to the NTSB, who says the safety recall repair must "not" be at the customer expense. I'm sorry I trusted the dealer with the recall repair as it seems that's when my problem started. I bought the car (2003 A6) from Hoffman Audi in CT and can't help feeling that I would have been treated better there...or not?

Old 06-30-2009, 01:55 PM
Default Fuel leak satisfaction

I'm happy to report that Audi of America apparently convinced the local dealer to make good on the required fix for my fuel tank leak. We picked up our 2003 A6 yesterday, after the dealer installed a new gas tank.
This is a happy ending that I really did not anticipate, but I'm delighted that Audi did the right thing and absorbed the expense (about $1800) of this repair. Thank all of you that furnished information on the tank configuration (nipple valves) and I advise everyone to buy the service manual for your vehicle as it really helps to cut through a lot of crap that is offered by the dealer. The Bentley book is a great tool to demistify needed repairs or problems, and helps you get a little respect at the dealership if your problem is too complex to tackle on your own. These are great vehicles, but some repairs can look like doctor bills.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:02 PM
bgh
1st Gear
Default fuel smell

So more on this one. I have an 06 A6 3.2 that I bought CPO from a dealer in 10/08. Shortly thereafter I was getting a nasty fuel smell. They did something under the rear seat (new o-rings, evap, nipples, whatever). The problem went away. It is now June and it is back again. I have smelled all around the car after driving and only can smell fuel in certain places under the hood. Nothing in the rear, under the seat, etc. However, my garage fills up with the smell something aweful. I don't think it has anything to do with the gas tank or o-rings because I've isolated the problem to when I accelerate or come to a stop (maybe while driving the wind blows the smell away). But I've also turned on the air recirculation button and I don't get the smell in the cabin. So, I'm thinking there is some small leak near the fresh air intake, if such a thing is possible...Can this make sense?

Old 09-02-2009, 01:36 AM
1st Gear

replacing gas tank will cost alot.......this problem should be handled carefully..........

Old 10-27-2009, 09:47 AM
bgh
1st Gear

I'm happy to report that this problem has been fixed. As I had suspected, it wasn't the gas tank, but something in the engine compartment. The dealer tested the fuel pressure and found that it dropped quickly after shutting off the engine signifying a leak somewhere. They removed the upper part of the intake manifold to check for leaks and found a joint on the fuel rail leaking. They replaced the fuel rail, ruel injector seal rings and gaskets. Fortunately all under warranty with the CPO. Would have been $1800 I believe. Unfortunately it took 7 days to get it completed due to a comedy of errors with parts not all showing up, tech out sick, etc. But I'm glad to have it done.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:37 PM
1st Gear
Default gas odor

the only time I smell gas in my audi A6 2.7 01 was when the temperature reaches 4 F in the morning and after that check engine appeared, vacuum leak, sensors etc.but after that day never happened again. and all normal again

Quick Reply: Gas odor