Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone bypassed the Secondary Air Injection System?

Old 12-11-2006, 12:21 PM
1st Gear
Default Has anyone bypassed the Secondary Air Injection System?

I see where Baskin 4.2l mentioned that he has removed his from his setup, and I have emailed him asking for some info on this.

My question is this: How do you bypass this useless system (the cats warm up real fast so I do not get it), but the tricky part is how do you keep your systems ECU from alerting on it? The check engine light is the main issue here as well as the ECU diagnostics.

In the part of Texas where I reside you can not pass state emissions (you cannot begin to test) if the check engine light is on. Mine is on due to the two Kombi valves (one on each bank) being bad. I know that the car can and will pass the emissions tests, but none of the shops will touch the car so long as the CEL is on.

Resetting the CEL with VAG is not the answer either, all the shops here can tell that it has been reset recently and will not test any car until 50-75 miles after the reset has occurred, and by that time my CEL is back on again.

Thanks
Adrian

Old 12-12-2006, 04:10 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Has anyone bypassed the Secondary Air Injection System?

Adrian,

I have not gotten an E mail from you. But there are 2 ways around this.

1 when you start the car don't let it idle drive it strait away. You don't want the car to sit idle for more than 2 sec at the most until the car is wormed up. or

2 you can contact vast and ask for them to make you a file that dose not turn on the CEL for the secondary air. But that is probably going to be a 4 to 5 hundred dollar chip. Um sure they would just add that feature to a performance chip for your car

I drove with the car in the first state for months with no CEL

let me know if this helps

Old 01-11-2007, 06:39 PM
1st Gear

Baskin 4.2l, Thanks for your response and sorry for my late acknowledgement, I lost track of this topic until today.

What can you tell me about the chip if I decided to order one from VAST Performance. What benefits would I see knowing that there is not much that can be done with a normally aspirated engine? (One huge benefit is the savings in bypassing a faulty secondary air system, and passing emissions, but what else?)

On point no. 1. Are you saying that so long as I continue to drive the car away within seconds of starting it the CEL will not come back on even after 50-75 miles, and I could potentially take the care and get it inspected?

Adrian.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:14 AM
2nd Gear

is that only with the 4.2 motors?

Old 01-12-2007, 09:28 AM
1st Gear

Adrain,

After I had my 2nd air system off I drove for a few months with no CEL or even code in the computer to be found with the VAG. But you will have to get used to it. Just start the car and drive right away. There are a few fellows local that had vast take off there 2nd air system but I think they had VAST make them a chip so there would be no CEL. I know for sure that there were some A6 guys with no 2nd air and no chip that had no CEL they just made sure to drive the car right after starting it.

As for performance I would get the Electric fan from VAST first it is cheap and makes a world of difference in power. I noticed power all across the rev range. Not only that but I like the ability to turn on and off my fan.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:30 PM
1st Gear

Baskin 4.2l, It's great to see such helpful people on this forum, thanks!

Question: You mention that you had your second air system off. Does that mean you took out the components from your car (2nd air pump found on bottom passenger side of the engine), and the two kombi valves on top of each bank? or did you simply unplug any electrical connection running to those components? Is there any part of this that is reliant on the vacuum system, and if so what to do about that?

Thanks once again.
Adrian

Old 01-13-2007, 09:59 AM
1st Gear

Never a problem my friend happy to help.

I took out the pump and the valves. After I took out the valves I had to have a plate made for the heads (other wise there will be an exhaust leak) You can take out the pump and leave the valves. Just unplug them and you will be ok

Old 01-17-2007, 02:29 PM
1st Gear

I could not see why the same would not be true for other Audi secondary air injection systems.
I do like the fact that the manner in which Baskin 4.2l did his does not effect the ECU and therefore does not throw a CEL!