Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headlight lens replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 06:08 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by budhani786
If your headlight isn't damaged then why not just clean them? I cleaned my with sandpaper and polish and it's going good. This is a maximum of $40 dollar fix compared to the 1000 for new headlights and labor.
Can you give some more details on this repair. My lens are destroyed to the point I'm driving around with my brights on. Of course this was before the engine died.

Thanks

Old 06-22-2013, 01:41 PM
1st Gear
Default Alien Magic

Originally Posted by budhani786
If your headlight isn't damaged then why not just clean them? I cleaned my with sandpaper and polish and it's going good. This is a maximum of $40 dollar fix compared to the 1000 for new headlights and labor.
Sandpaper/Polish systems, seem to be prevalent and often suggested AND I'm sure they might work... for awhile.

My research suggests that there is a UV coating outside the plastic lens. Its the coating is what starts deteriorating/oxidizing. Sanding would certainly remove that coating but would begin a repeating rabbit-hole process as the plastic starts to break down.

It starts as foggy or frosted, then grows more yellow as it progresses. Eventually sanding or replacement might be the only choice. BUT! Before attacking my '01 & '03 Allroad w/ abrasives, I thought I'd try Pittmans ALR (Acrylic Lens Restorer or Alien Liquid Research). After seeing it work, I tend to prefer the latter name

At any rate, you be the judge from this partially done '01 foto. Took only about 10 minutes per headlight w/ a paper towel and NO sanding. Not back to 100% brand new crystal clear, but quite clear, waaay easier and cheaper than replacements. Might be worth a shot BEFORE going the sandpaper route.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:48 PM

My lenses on my 2001 A6 avant were pretty messed up when I got the car so I took it in for a pro restoration and it was wonderful. The hazing started coming back after the pro cleaning so I bought the turtle wax headlight restore kit and used that and worked wonderful for me. To keep it up I use the turtle wax express lens cleaner every other month or so and then i apply a coat of meguires ultimate wax and my headlights look amazing always....if they are really really bad a pro cleaning would be a good option then it's all about maintenance.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:48 PM
1st Gear

I believe the sanding / polish method is definitely the way to go when restoring your headlights (versus replacement). The reason it gets cloudy in a few months is because the UV protectant layer has been removed during the restoration process. I've found that the Griot's headlight restoration kit is the best as it provides you with an excellent UV protectant spray.

Just my two cents. Good luck!!

Old 04-10-2014, 08:57 PM
1st Gear

This foggy look is caused by UV damage to the plastic. The foggy part is the surface of the plastic. Try what Budhani said. Use a super high grit sand paper or even a wet stone used for autobody paint repair. Then finish up with a polish system after you get the "dead" plastic off. Mileage has no bearing on this its all about the age and how much time your car spends in the direct sun.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:15 AM
1st Gear

You need to be more drastic with your headlights!!!

Sand them with a fine grade wet and dry paper and plenty of water. Then polish them with rubbing compound using a buffing pad on an electric drill. Do this with finer and finer compounds. Finally with T Cut or something similar. then polish.

Hey presto! brand new lights for the price of sand paper and polish!