Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headlight washer cap problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 07:10 PM
1st Gear
Default headlight washer cap problem

my headlight washer cap fell of one day....so i ordered another one and tried putting it on.. it was loose and realized that the why the first one fell off was that the there are suppose to be what i believe two plastic prong like things that are suppose to go in little holes on wither side of the bottom whats of the cap. a easy way of making sure that the cap doesn't fly off again.. GLUE?

Old 06-10-2009, 08:16 PM
3rd Gear

glue indeed.....make sure you let your work cure at least 12 hours before applying pressure to it.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:00 AM
1st Gear

im not sure exactly how the washer comes out cause iv never actually seen it. i dont want to glue anything that wold hold the actually washer down.. should i glue where those sharp points from the cap go into the bumper???

Old 06-11-2009, 12:47 PM
3rd Gear

Well, of course you don't want to glue in vain...
What's holding you from actually figuring out how exactly the cap mounts on the washer, and how the washer is seated into/onto the bumper?
I don' have headlight washers on my car, so I have never seen one either.

What year is your car?
We can figure out from VagCat or from some parts site with a pic of the actual washer, if nobody else with a model that has washers on chimes in.

From this pic:

it looks like the cap secures somehow with pins or bolts.; unless the washer itself has some sort of "protuberances" on it that the cap's holes on the prongs fit over.

Last edited by chefro; 06-11-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:41 AM
1st Gear

yes but my cap also has two pointy things on the bottom of the cap that go into the bumper.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:28 AM

my driver's side nozzle was cracked and whenver i use the headlight washers the drivers side cap and top of the nozzle would fly out, one day i forgot about it as i was pressed the winshield washer thing i saw the sh|t fly off, i went back and only found the cap so i just supper-glued it to the bumper! im planning on removin the nozzles completely one day anyway, they just make a bigger mess!

Old 06-12-2009, 08:50 AM
3rd Gear

The "pointy things" role on the bottom of the cap must be as some sort of opening/closing "hinges". When activated, I bet the washers come out 1/2 inch or so, just enough room for the nozzles to be exposed and have spraying room.
As said, I'll have to see one to know exactly how it works.

Johnstef, you'll have to specify the year of your car, otherwise we're shooting in the dark.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:35 AM
1st Gear

I used clear silicone adhesive on mine. in my case, the headlight washer was missing one of the prongs on the side of it which hold the cap to the washer. silicone the cap to where the missing prong would be. problem solved.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:15 PM
1st Gear
Default Similar issue?

I just got a 2002 A6 a few weeks ago and I have a similar problem. The driver side cap and nozzles are missing. However the system works and when activated a substantial amount of fluid just gushes out without any resistance. With the recent weather in the NE I end up driving with a few bottles of fluid behind my seat to make sure I dont run out. I am attaching a photo of what it looks like now. I would like to fix it but not if it is prohibitively complicated and/or expensive. Any ideas, pointers, etc are truly welcome.

Attached Thumbnails headlight washer cap problem-2014-02-21-11.33.43.jpg  
Old 03-01-2014, 07:02 AM
1st Gear

It appears you need a new headlamp washer assy and a cover. Think they were like $225 (at the stealership) plus the cover, plus painting the cover. From what I recall, it cost more to have the cover painted than the cover cost itself.

In the meantime, if you can access it, unplug the headlamp washer pump. The windshield and headlamps have separate pumps on the reservoir. That way you won't run the reservoir dry every 2 minutes.

Know what you mean, we've been having W/S washer weather here too (northcentral WI). Damn road salt.........................

Quick Reply: headlight washer cap problem