Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help....A6 2.7t boosting problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 06:56 PM
1st Gear
Question Help....A6 2.7t boosting problems

I have noticed problems with my car boosting up when im doing a pull, I will describe to you what exactly the problem is. When I put my foot to the floor, on occasion, my car will start to boost for about a second, then it stops giving me boost, I stop accelerating and it seems to sputter. This can happen in any gear but it seems to only happen in the 2-3k rpm range when the turbos are spooling up. For example, when doing a 6th gear pull I am about at 2.5k rpms, I then put my foot to the floor and insted of the turbos spooling up, they dont build any boost and the engine seems to sputter slighty. If I continue to hold my foot to the floor the CEL light will flash for a couple of minutes. This problem seems to be a rare occurance, but it has becoming more and more common over the past month. 80% of the time I put my foot to the floor to do a pull the turbos spool up perfectly and I haul ***, but the 20% is what concerns me. It seems just to happen randomly, I could do a pull and build boost and then immediatily after do the exact same thing and the problem I am having happens. I just put in new AWE diverter valves but that hasent helped, I am continuing to have the same problem. I also have a stage 1 unitronic chip and a CAI but thats it. The previous owner replaced the turbos on my car, he installed used turbos and I think they have 70-80k on them now; that seems like alot. I also have the famous police siren noice coming from my turbos when the start to spool up, dam ko3's. I wonder If my turbos are on their last legs, but id rather not replace them and then continue to have the same problems. Has anyone else experienced something similare and can anyone give me good advice on what to do? I dont want to sell the car, it runs strong and this is my only problem with it, everything else on this car is perfect. Please help me!!

Old 08-10-2013, 09:23 PM
2nd Gear

6th gear pull? What road are you on?

What codes, if any, is your car throwing? The flashing check engine light points towards an ignition issue rather than a boost issue.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:37 PM
1st Gear

Just highway lol

Yea that could be, makes sense beacuse the engine kind of feels like its stalling.

What kind of ignition issue could I be having?

Old 08-11-2013, 08:26 AM
2nd Gear

A flashing check engine light usually points in the direction of a misfire. You're going to have to get your hands on VAGCOM in order to narrow this down. You'll be throwing money at it left and right without it.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:59 PM
1st Gear

What VAGCOM system would you recommend?

Old 08-11-2013, 01:43 PM
1st Gear

usually when it pulls boost- doesnt that mean fuel cut/ timing retard to stop the motor from damaging itself.
so could be ignition, fuel mix

Old 08-11-2013, 07:49 PM
1st Gear

Could this possibly be a icm issue?

Old 08-11-2013, 08:30 PM
2nd Gear

I would recommend Ross-Tech: Ross-Tech: Home

Best tool to have if you're going to have an Audi / VW for a while.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:56 PM
1st Gear

update: I now think I have a misfire(s). I can hear my engine sucking in air through the CAI, but the engine just sputters and lags behind. I think this is a ICM issue beacuse this type of thing seems to occur randomly, and also sometimes when this problem occures it feels like only one cylinder is misfiring and other times it feels like 3 are misfiring. It would make more sense for it to be a faulty ICM rather than a faulty coil pack or spark plug.

one more thing: as I was about 3 miles from my house my turn signal stopped working properally. When I use my turn signal it stays on solid rather than flashing. I tried turning my car on and off and retrying it but it only stays on solid and dosnt flash. WTF Audi, seriously. So now what does this mean, I am really confused now and I am tearing all my hair out, can someone please help me out?

Old 08-12-2013, 10:18 PM
2nd Gear

You could have an ICM issue. They are known to fail on our cars. You can try swapping them out to see if the misfire goes to the other side of the engine. You'll know for certain if you pull the codes from your car.

As for your signal not working properly, this is certainly the relay found behind your hazard button above your radio. You will either have to do some minor repairs on it or have a new one installed.

BTW, both problems are not related so don't get too worried... yet.

Quick Reply: Help....A6 2.7t boosting problems