Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Mechanic Prices

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 12:07 PM
1st Gear
Default Help with Mechanic Prices

I have a 2001 Audi A6 2.7T

After a crash of mine (still not determined whose fault it is) my engine has been stuttering. I took it to a mechanic that specializes in european cars and he says the total cost of labor and fixes will cost $1760.

What he's fixing:
Replacing all spark plugs
Replacing all coils
Replacing both O2 sensors
Replacing a couple broken vacuum pipes
$200 Diagnostic test

I feel like this is way too pricey. Maybe I'm wrong. Can someone tell me if this is right? Or even close? Because I'm not looking forward to having to fix my own car in the winter because the mechanic costs too much

Old 02-14-2013, 01:35 PM
1st Gear

a pack six coils on ebay range from 60 to 100
spark plugs six of them, 8 dollars a piece
O2 Sensors are 60-90 a piece
vac tubes are just plumb dumb cheap
200 Diagnostic for what? what did he diagnose?

So that leaves over a thousand spent for labour, sounds very fishy.

Shop around and get a comparable quote. Hell, buy the parts you need first.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:16 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by twopedalwarrior
a pack six coils on ebay range from 60 to 100
spark plugs six of them, 8 dollars a piece
O2 Sensors are 60-90 a piece
vac tubes are just plumb dumb cheap
200 Diagnostic for what? what did he diagnose?

So that leaves over a thousand spent for labour, sounds very fishy.

Shop around and get a comparable quote. Hell, buy the parts you need first.
The sensors he are buying are $200 a piece. So that's a little less on labor and more on parts. Does that still sound bad? I'm sorry if I sound dumb or anything, but I'm just 18 and my parents have owned toyotas their whole life so. So I'm not exactly sure on how much mechanics cost on these types of cars and everything.

Thank you for the help

Old 02-14-2013, 08:07 PM
1st Gear

200 each is BS!

Ebay link audi a6 2.7t o2 sensors | eBay

You don't even have to search for the exact model A6 O2 Sensor.

audi a6 o2 sensor bosch | eBay

You don't sound dumb at all. You are asking good questions. Find a different mechanic. Or research the parts you need. You buy them and take it too them. Down side is you may not have the income to support this car in the long run. Not trying to scare you of, but its alot of car for someone who is 18

Other than that. The first post, is that all he was looking to order? We can try to give you a hand a point you in the right direction. Where do you live Canada or US?

Old 02-15-2013, 10:07 AM
1st Gear

Yeah this car is a lot to maintain, and even though I love driving it, I'm going to sell it once I get it in sellable condition. So far in this car I've replaced the rear axle, control arms and tie rods. Those were a few thousand miles ago though. Today I'm going to see if I can replace the spark plugs and coil packs on my own and see if that gets rid of the stuttering.

This car was very poorly taken care of before me, I bought it with 138,000 miles and the owner hadn't replaced the timing belt or the spark plugs ever. I've learned from this site when you should do those things with this car and it's just been incredibly poorly maintained.

He says the spark plugs he gets are $25 a piece and the coil packs are $120 a piece. I have read how difficult the o2 sensors to replace so

Old 02-15-2013, 10:12 AM
1st Gear

So I will leave that up to a mechanic to fix. Whether that's him or not, depends on how cheap his labor is because he says his o2 sensors are $200 a piece and I have to fix two. I feel like I can get a much cheaper quote at another mechanic (please tell me if I'm wrong). I have been doing a lot of research on these particular parts lately and I definitely feel like I'm getting ripped off