Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help a newbie figure out my leak

Old 07-28-2016, 10:15 PM
1st Gear
Default Help a newbie figure out my leak

I am new to Audi's and realize they can be great but problematic. Here's my problem:

-I started leaking what I thought was oil because it was brownish but clear, got the car on jacks , cleaned the oily areas and started the engine. The liquid is like ATF fluid and the area is between the pan and the housing (maybe I can insert a photo)

-Googling has come up with the main seal leak as the culprit but also to other reasons for a leak in that area.

AAA picked me up today, I stopped because there was slight smoke from engine. 2 days earlier there was erratic sputtering from car but drove fine otherwise, shifted into gear (automatic) without problem. Today I decided to take 600 lbs of cement to dump (about 6 miles) and thats when I noticed a weird screeching/laser sound from engine. Left dump about a mile, saw leaking fluid, stopped and waited for AAA. Could of the 600 lbs of weight blown the seal?

I thought it was oil because it was brownish but clear like coolant fluid but still gritty like ATF fluid with a slight greenish tint. Once home I cleaned the undercarriage, started the engine and about 30 seconds later the leak started from the area I posted. This is where I am at now. Hoping you experts can clue me in. Thanks.

-Car specs: 2001 A6 Avant wagon, Automatic with 114k miles.
- the leak is constant and not a slow drip.