Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP throttle actuator problem?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 12:37 PM
1st Gear
Default HELP throttle actuator problem?????

My girlfriend went out in my car and she said it started fine no problems, then all of a sudden it just cut out no noises juddering or nothing, she did not even realise it had cut out till she started to slow down. I have had it plugged in and they said a fault as come up with throttle actuator malfunction, and suggested i replace the throttle actuator on the accelerator pedal and then if that don't solve the problem to replace the throttle body, any suggestions on this and if the throttle actuator as gone would this cause my car to not start any help i would be grateful thanks.
Forgot to say it's a Audi A6 1.8T 2000

Last edited by wrendo123; 11-26-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:20 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by wrendo123
My girlfriend went out in my car and she said it started fine no problems, then all of a sudden it just cut out no noises juddering or nothing, she did not even realise it had cut out till she started to slow down. I have had it plugged in and they said a fault as come up with throttle actuator malfunction, and suggested i replace the throttle actuator on the accelerator pedal and then if that don't solve the problem to replace the throttle body, any suggestions on this and if the throttle actuator as gone would this cause my car to not start any help i would be grateful thanks.
Forgot to say it's a Audi A6 1.8T 2000
OK, the actuator is actually on the throttle body - it's the motor that moves the throttle plate. The pedal has a position sender that creates a pair of signals to the computer so it knows when you want to accelerate. If one of the pedal position sensors goes bad, the car will still run, but may go into limp mode, and will light the CEL light. If the Throttle Body unit stops working, the car might start (badly) and idle, but it won't respond to the accelerator pedal.

If the engine just died, you may have a bigger problem. You need to pull the codes with a VAG-COM or get the dealer to do it with their equipment - a basic code reader probably won't tell you everything that's happening. And just replacing parts will quickly spend a lot of money you probably don't need to spend. See if you can borrow a VAG-COM from someone nearby and see what's really going on.
Jim

Old 11-27-2012, 12:46 PM
1st Gear
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by eejimm
OK, the actuator is actually on the throttle body - it's the motor that moves the throttle plate. The pedal has a position sender that creates a pair of signals to the computer so it knows when you want to accelerate. If one of the pedal position sensors goes bad, the car will still run, but may go into limp mode, and will light the CEL light. If the Throttle Body unit stops working, the car might start (badly) and idle, but it won't respond to the accelerator pedal.

If the engine just died, you may have a bigger problem. You need to pull the codes with a VAG-COM or get the dealer to do it with their equipment - a basic code reader probably won't tell you everything that's happening. And just replacing parts will quickly spend a lot of money you probably don't need to spend. See if you can borrow a VAG-COM from someone nearby and see what's really going on.
Jim
I have ordered the throttle body and accelerator pedal got them both cheap. I have checked for a spark which it is doing and also checked if the injectors are pulsing which they are. I the took the throttle body off and undid the clips on the side when it opened the seal had expanded and the components where full of oil where it had manage to leak in so fingers crossed this is the problem, but as i said before i thought it would of still started. I have uploaded a photo with all the faults any help would be grateful thanks.

Attached Thumbnails HELP throttle actuator problem?????-img_1366.jpg  
Old 11-27-2012, 07:01 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by wrendo123
I have ordered the throttle body and accelerator pedal got them both cheap. I have checked for a spark which it is doing and also checked if the injectors are pulsing which they are. I the took the throttle body off and undid the clips on the side when it opened the seal had expanded and the components where full of oil where it had manage to leak in so fingers crossed this is the problem, but as i said before i thought it would of still started. I have uploaded a photo with all the faults any help would be grateful thanks.
Yup - sure sounds like the TB is shot plus that's what the codes say too. I'd replace the TB first and if that's all the problem is, just keep the accelerator pedal sender on the shelf in case you ever need to replace it too...
Jim

Old 11-28-2012, 02:19 PM
1st Gear

Replaced throttle body and accelerator pedal today. Once fitted turned ignition on for five minutes could actually here the noises from the throttle body, which before was not doing anything, after five minutes i turned ignition off and attempted to start the car which it started straight away :-) so i think it was down to just the throttle body, thanks to anyone that replied