Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High mileage 2005 A6 - What kind of maintenance can I expect?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 10:43 AM
1st Gear
Default High mileage 2005 A6 - What kind of maintenance can I expect?

I am about to buy this afternoon a used Audi A6 3.2 V6 Quattro with 150K miles. The car is in excellent condition except for a small tear in a seat and a pixelated MMI. It's got new rear brakes and the tires look almost new, I test-drove it and everything felt right - no strange noises, all electricals appear to eb in order, etc. It was a 2 owner car according to carfax, but the first owner was a personal lease for only 6K miles 1 year, the second owner put the rest in it so is almost a one owner car. The price is right after checking NADA, Edmunds and KBB.

I'm worried however about what maintenance will it need in the future. What should I look for to replace in it eventually? Any ballpark costs? This would be my first Audi (my previous car was a VW passat) and also my first car with such a high mileage.

I'd appreciate any help to this newbie.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:04 PM
2nd Gear

First question is what maintenance was done in the past? The answer to that question which have a HUGE impact on the answer to your question.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:21 PM
3rd Gear

Expect to replace the timing belt within 10-30k miles, about $1500-1800 at a dealer. Make sure all four tires are the same. Test drive it for 50-100 miles to flush out any CELs. Make sure every control and feature operates. Expect to change the air and cabin filter. I would also change the differential fluids and the brake fluid should be changed every 2 years and is probably due since most owners ignore this maintenance.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:21 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ppgoal
Expect to replace the timing belt within 10-30k miles, about $1500-1800 at a dealer. Make sure all four tires are the same. Test drive it for 50-100 miles to flush out any CELs. Make sure every control and feature operates. Expect to change the air and cabin filter. I would also change the differential fluids and the brake fluid should be changed every 2 years and is probably due since most owners ignore this maintenance.
His engine does not have a timing belt.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:58 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jpicazzo
I am about to buy this afternoon a used Audi A6 3.2 V6 Quattro with 150K miles. The car is in excellent condition except for a small tear in a seat and a pixelated MMI. It's got new rear brakes and the tires look almost new, I test-drove it and everything felt right - no strange noises, all electricals appear to eb in order, etc. It was a 2 owner car according to carfax, but the first owner was a personal lease for only 6K miles 1 year, the second owner put the rest in it so is almost a one owner car. The price is right after checking NADA, Edmunds and KBB.

I'm worried however about what maintenance will it need in the future. What should I look for to replace in it eventually? Any ballpark costs? This would be my first Audi (my previous car was a VW passat) and also my first car with such a high mileage.

Like Kevin mentioned, depends in what the PO has done.
I know with mine at more than 100k when I bought it I did the following.
Upper/lower control arm bushing & the ball joints (4wh alignment)
New Tires
Change oil and filter
Cabin filter
Air Filter
Take look at the plugs and change if needed.

I went to the Audi dealership and had them run a VIN check and they can see what bulletins/recalls had or had not been done. Plus they did an inspection and found where I had oil seeping from the timing change cover.

Good luck and enjoy the "new" car.

Last edited by Drew_Audi; 07-31-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:26 PM
1st Gear
Default Run away as fast as you can

Originally Posted by jpicazzo

I have a 05 3.2. I've probably stuck 10k into it bad control arms twice, ABS module MMI module evaporator pump etc..... this car is junk. The engine and tranny are very smooth and solid but the electronics are horrible. Led tail lights 350 for one lol

Old 12-20-2016, 10:32 PM
1st Gear
Default Run away as fast as you can

Every thing you change that's electronic you have to have it reprogram it. Even the battery. Control arms are a good 2500 to have them all replaced that's the Audi ones. Don't buy the Chinese ones from ebay
Pretty much any electronic part that's not stamped Audi or is aftermarket stay away from especially brake components. Buy a BMW Audis are Volkswagens with a higher sticker price. Junk