Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High mileage C5 A6 2.8L

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 11:16 PM
Default High mileage C5 A6 2.8L

Hello everyone,

I just crossed 200,000 miles with my 99 A6 2.8Q, I have completed all basic maintence including full syn oil 2500-3000 miles,Timing belt, tensioner, idlers, water pump, exhaust leaks, control arms etc.... This has been the best car I could ever ask for (knock on wood) I have learned so much working on this car! My concern is with this many miles what other maintence am i missing that could cause looming problems in the future. The compression is 160 on all six cylinders, drives and runs great too. What should i do to get another 200k out of the engine lol? Should I change transmission fluid even though the manual claims to be a "lifetime fluid"?

Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated

Old 05-18-2010, 11:44 PM

come on... I have to get some input for my 200,000 miles anniversary

Old 05-19-2010, 05:00 AM
1st Gear

Mines a 1995 A6 2.8l quattro and has done 212500 miles, and has just developed a waterleak, the car runs great and does not blow smoke, but I will be doing cam belts etc, maybe new lifters as they are just starting to make a noise, and a transmission flush.
I have heard that this car is doing very well for its mileage, so I am crossing my fingers that it will last another 50,000 or so miles berfoe any major engine rebuild.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:25 AM
3rd Gear

OK --
number one -- Open a saving account and begin adding to it every week so you have money for the upcomming repairs.

number two -- don't get too attached to the vehicle because in the next 100K or so it will begin to give you all kinds of little problems that include electrical and water - oil leaks

number three -- Be confident that you CAN get the vehicle to 300+ K if you have patience.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:39 PM
1st Gear

i have about 70k on my 2001 a6 2.8L.... so i m glad to hear that audi last that long... i heard u have to do timing belt every 105k miles so may be ur timing belt is up...

Old 05-19-2010, 12:41 PM
1st Gear

can u list some of the major maintenance that you had to do ?? I am trying to prepare my self...

Old 05-19-2010, 01:53 PM
1st Gear

I wouldn't touch the trans fluid with that kind of mileage...but that's just me. You might want to keep an eye on the condition of the black, plastic crankcase breather pipe(underneath the intake cover). They can become brittle, which makes them prone to breakage...they can also become partially clogged, which raises the crankcase pressure and can make gaskets/seals leak. The same goes for any plastic or rubber vacuum tubing that's exposed to heat...if they aren't at least somewhat pliable, replace them.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:17 PM

Thanks for all the input, I do have a little saved and I have replaced the vacuum lines recently. as for the timing belt it is on its 3rd, i installed it at 160k. I replaced water lines, ECT sensor, and cleaned the throttle body. I also used my Vag com to recode my tranny from 00000 to 00010, It made a HUGE difference in the way it shifts, its very predictable and peppy. On top of that I change oil w/ Mobil 1 /Full syn 5w 30 every 3k miles, some may say its too often but it makes me feel better

Old 05-19-2010, 02:20 PM

And UberTeile, you said not to change the tranny fluid w/ that many miles? Can you please explain why, I have heard that before and others say to change it and its a significant difference. I imagine the fluid is original and I find it hard to believe it has the same lubricating properties as it did when it was original?? Please respond

Thanks

Old 05-19-2010, 04:11 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CentauriA6
And UberTeile, you said not to change the tranny fluid w/ that many miles? Can you please explain why, I have heard that before and others say to change it and its a significant difference. I imagine the fluid is original and I find it hard to believe it has the same lubricating properties as it did when it was original?? Please respond

Thanks
I guess it all comes down to who you want to listen to...as you already mentioned, VW/Audi claims it to be "lifetime" fluid and they engineered the 'sealed system' to enforce that fact. I'm personally unaware of any modern Audi transmission failures that have been proven to be the fault of "old fluid"...so I'll continue to stick with "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

UberTeile

Quick Reply: High mileage C5 A6 2.8L