Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heat resistant gunk

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 05:48 PM
Default heat resistant gunk

ok...
I was wondering if anyone out there knows of any goop you can slather on some upper control arm ends or any rubber piece that makes it burn resistant. the reason i was asking is bc tomorrow i am going to change my cv joints. i was lookin over the manual and noticed that it says to remove the pinch bolt that holds the upper control arms in place. Well if that one is anything like my tie rod pinch bolt its seized as a mo fo.... THe only way i could break it loose was to bust out the torch and heat up the housing around it. Doing so burned the rubber on the rod end and destroyed it. i didnt really care bc i was replacing them anyways.

I dont want to have to replace the upper control arms just to replace a cv joint and chances are those are just as seized so my question is how necessary is it that the upper control arm pinch bolt comes out to change cv joints and what sort of goop is out there that i can slather on so that they dont get destroyed????? maybe a trick besides heat to separate seized parts???(btw no penetrant worked for it last time)

Old 06-26-2009, 09:27 PM
2nd Gear

If the nut won't come off then cut it off or grind it you can throw a wet towel over it but the grinding sparks won't do much damage. I wouldn't cut them with the torch because you won't have much success putting out the grease fire. But if you had to heat the nut map gas would work nice. My bolts came out with a little beating while I spun them both sides on both cars-no heat no cutting.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:40 PM
4th Gear

PBBlaster and a big hammer. Leave the nut on to wack it.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:26 AM
3rd Gear

Get some Copper-based Anti-seize lubricant and dab it on the pinch bolt(s) when reinstalling. If it works great on the muffler bolts, I don't see why would not prevent seizing corrosion or rusting.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:24 PM

You could use a 3" pnematic cutoff tool and a die grinder to cut and grind the nut off.
You may be able to get new boots for the tie rod ends and control arm ends from www.blauparts.com .

Old 07-02-2009, 01:59 AM

ok thanks for all the help, the pb blaster sounds like a good try since i can wait a couple days to do it and pre soak it over night... ill definately put some anti sieze on after, just like i did the tie rods when i replaced em, dont want to deal with that pain again....