Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you fix foggy headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 10:20 AM
Exclamation How do you fix foggy headlights?

My headlights are really foggy, I dont know if my seal is broken or not. My lights are fine and work - it's just the headlights are foggy in the inside. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments of how to go about to fix this? I appreciate any knowledge. Thanks!

Old 06-23-2009, 03:10 PM
3rd Gear

Is it foggy as in you have moisture inside the headlight housing? or is it scratched up? 1st issue can be resolved by opening up the housing from the back, remove your bulbs and blow some hot air through it using hair dryer or someting. 2nd issue can be fixed by refinishing the headlight surface. There are many commercial products out there, but basically you are sanding/polishing the surface with really fine grid material and putting a clear coat over that.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:22 PM

I have the same problem with my drivers side headlight on my '04 Avant after a car wash or driving in heavy rain. Dealer told me it is "normal" and to just drive with the headlights on for a little while and it will dry it out. This has worked for me so far. Very poor design...

Old 06-25-2009, 11:32 AM
1st Gear

Not necessarily a bad design, it's just that as lighting tech changes, some things can get overlooked. You are experiencing condensation fog. Yes some seal is broken. Sometimes the housing seal isn't necessarily bad, but rather how the light seals to the housing. Maybe it worked loose over time. Do you have HID's? I have not done this, but I have long assumed you can re-seal the housings without replacing them. Hell, if you knew how to re-seal the housings, you'd probably have a bang up business as this happens on lots of cars. . .

Old 06-25-2009, 11:50 AM
4th Gear

You can pull them apart and reseal with stuff bought at the auto parts store. Sometimes moisture gets in from having high humidity on the day the bulb's replaced.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:19 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by A62dot7turbo
My headlights are really foggy, I dont know if my seal is broken or not. My lights are fine and work - it's just the headlights are foggy in the inside. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments of how to go about to fix this? I appreciate any knowledge. Thanks!
If the actual lens is yellowed and dull, you'll probably need more than just the plastic polish you find at the auto parts store (I tried that 1st, and it didn't work). I found this product on one of the forums I believe: https://www.micro-surface.com/default.cfm?page_id=1
It was a little over $20 shipped. It's basically foam pads with two different grits on both sides. You wet sand the light from coarse to fine alternating between vertical & horizontal. The whole thing ends with a liquid paste similar to what you get from a store. It worked pretty well. You may also be able to find a similar kit in a local store.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:22 AM

If your having headlight problems, you should check out Headlight Restoration Service ( www.hrslights.com ). They were able to clear up my foggy, yellow headlights. I hope this helps!

Old 07-25-2009, 10:00 PM
1st Gear

Check to make sure the headlight backing is seated and secured. I had a problem with mostiture inside and it seems that the plate on the back came loose and just needed to be secured.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:46 PM

A lose blub housing might be the issue and by far the easiest to check, make sure they are screwed all the way in but first that the rubber seal is good.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:36 PM
1st Gear
Smile

Make sure everything is dried and then reseal with silicone. Make it clean!!! If it i yellow you can take them out, wet sand them with 400Grit sandpaper, and take them to your local bodyshop and have them clearcoat them. Just had mine done and have been doing this for years. (You can also have them throw some blue or violet pearl in the clearcoat to give it some bang.

Quick Reply: How do you fix foggy headlights?