Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 A6 Quattro (C4) Starting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 02:51 PM
1st Gear
Default 95 A6 Quattro (C4) Starting Issues

i have a 1995 a6 quattro 2.8 and have been having some issues getting it started

1 it turns over
2 has a new fuel filter
3 fuel pump is coming on
4 once it starts it runs fine

so it turns over but sometimes on cold start (the engine hasnt warmed up)
i will have to let it turn over for about 3-4 minutes for it to start after it has started and warmed up i turn the key over and it starts fine anybody ever run into something like this?

also i think my timing is fine it gets the mpg its supposed to and doesn't idle rough

i need to figure this out as its my only car and have a second child on the way any help is appreciated

Old 07-08-2012, 04:09 PM
3rd Gear

a guess.

engine temperature sensor. At least on the C5 a common symptom of a failed/failing engine temperature sensor are your symptoms. Hard to start cold, easy to start once warm.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:25 PM
1st Gear

that might not be a terrible guess i have been having a few issues with my radiator/condensor fan coming onto full speed and the oil gauge on the dash has been sitting at around 130c whereas is usually only sits right above the 80 c mark but any other ideas would be appreciated

Old 07-08-2012, 04:52 PM
1st Gear

If the oil temp gauge shows 130C when the engine is cold, either the gauge itself is bad or the temp sens is bad, or there is a wiring problem.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:38 PM
1st Gear

Its only showing 130C after it runs for a while i have been having a plethora of issues but I've got to go shower and get ready for bedi bought the car for $900 from a guy in the boonies who took it to a back woods mechanic told him he had a burnt valve turns out he had two of the spark plug wires reversed I've put some money into the cat since then has ran like new for 40k miles will do a detailed write up later i do have a decent account of mechanical understanding just been busy with a new baby and had little time to observe and troubleshoot would love to get opinions being audis are built a little differently

Old 07-09-2012, 07:16 AM
1st Gear

so when i bought the car the guy had the plug wires backwards fixed that put 40k miles on the car since purchase now 180k on the odo,

first sign of winter i found out the heater core was bypassed so i had a fun 7hr journey of replacing that,

changed out plugs,wires oxygen sensors, cleaned ALL engine bay electrical contacts, had the resonators and mufflers removed from the car straight piped and a single cherry bomb turbo muffler put on,hid headlight conversion, had to replace the oil cooler seal,

all has ran fine up untill now ive had starting issues and problems with my a/c and the engine has started overheating mildly no smoke or anything out of the exhaust sometimes the car will start with no issues sometimes i have to let it turn over for a few minutes before it will start, changed the fuel filter and ran a cleaner through it, still have issues checked the battery and alternator both are working fine, since ive had the car i have had issues with it seeming to take forever to heat up, the gauge that reads the coolant temp on the dash takes about 30 minutes to show full operating temp, just recently the oil temp gauge has started peaking at about 130C and i have watched the car sitting and idling and the fans are not working as they used to turning on but intermittently and not to full speed and my a/c has not been working as well either i had to replace the valve core on the receiver/dryer and recharge the system now when the a/c compressor turns on at idle it almost kills the engine also i have had a gas smell when sitting have checked the vacuum lines to the fuel tank they are fine

im in a love hate relationship now and getting frustrated i get paid this upcoming friday and soon to have 2 kids on a 24k/yr salary so i need to be sure about anything i spend money on