Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's another one..

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 06:45 PM
Default It's another one..

Hey Audi owners!

I am looking to get into an Audi and I am looking at an automatic, 2002 A6 2.7 BiTurbo with 66k miles on it for about 9800. I want all your opinion on all aspects, what I should expect, good/bad deal, etc.

I don't mind paying more for regular maintenance but I am afraid of unexpected failure of components that can cost me more than half of the value of the vehicle which just doesn't make much sense. I do have enough funds for unforeseen repairs but what is the likelihood of this happening?

Would you say a A4 1.8t is more reliable than a A6 2.7t?

I have asked around and the consensus was to run from it because I could be in 5k+ more of bills because of a torque converter defect/failure? turbo replacement? I have test driven the car and seen the car and it was in great condition. One minor thing is it was in an accident that racked up in $4800 of repairs and the previous owner was rear ended, should that be a concern? I seen no signs of the previous accident at all. Please let me know what you think, thanks in advance!

Old 04-16-2010, 08:40 AM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

Sounds like what I bought, slightly less miles on yours for a bit more money. You are definitely going to need some extra cash for repairs as that car is coming up on some of the more expensive maintenance (timing belt).

Turbos should be fine as long as the car was properly maintained. Same for torque converter. I would assume that the collision repairs were done properly by a reputable shop so that shouldn't be too big an issue.

First thing you should do is run it to an independent shop familiar with audi and have them check it out for you. Might cost you a bit but will be well worth it in the long run, especially if they find problems.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:53 AM
1st Gear

This is just my opinion, and I'm not too familiar with the going rate, but there is no way I'd pay 9800 or anything close to that for a vehicle that has been badly damaged in an accident. Fair enough, he didn't crash, he was just rear-ended, but all the same, IMO that car should be selling for way less than an undamaged example (even if you are convinced that the repairs are good, it'll be your job to convince the next buyer of that)

It strikes me as a classic example of someone thinking their car is worth a fortune just because it has low mileage. Try to find one that's just had a major service (timing belt, water pump etc.) and then you should be safe for 100K miles (I think that's the timing belt interval, better double check though)

Old 04-16-2010, 11:17 AM
2nd Gear

Accidents greatly reduce the $$$!

BTW - there is no such think as "properly maintained torque converter".
This is a recognized by Audi design and workmanship failure.
TC will fail; turbos will fail - when ? => this is the question!
Could you live with the imminent failures?
Can you sleep well budgeting repairs that easily total up to 80% of the value of your car?
Ask yourself!

BTW again- low mileage isn't always something one should necessarily rely on –=>in the age of computing the odometer readings could be pure fiction…

Last edited by nemohm; 04-16-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:32 PM
2nd Gear

all good things to keep in mind. Like divil said very few people realize the actual worth of their car because of sentimental attachment and things like that. I've noticed around Denver that people are starting to sell their old beater for several thousand dollars in order to make mortgage payments. 5 years ago these people would be happy to get 500 bucks for these cars. Chances are if he's selling high he's broke and trying to find something cheaper (aren't we all though? haha).

You might be able to bargain if you take it to a dealer and get a quote from them on the TB and WP and see if he will subtract that cost from his price (dealer should get you nice estimate too ). At 66k it will need that job within a year.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:34 AM

Hey guys, thanks for all the input. I really appreciate all the advice. I decided not to buy the car but I will be looking for an A6.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:35 AM
2nd Gear

I think the last 3 people who asked for buying advice went a different route... maybe we are being to harsh? We all love and hate our biturbo despite the problem.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:15 AM

It was a hard decision for me cause the A6 biturbo is such a sweet car, but I will keep looking for my Audi!