Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it my brake sensor switch? Or speed sensor or abs modulator?

Old 08-24-2013, 12:27 PM
1st Gear
Default Is it my brake sensor switch? Or speed sensor or abs modulator?

I have an Audi A6 2006 (206,225 miles!)
From time to time my car would not start, it would turn over but refused to fire up, the warning lights/message suggest ESP fault, Automatic Hand brake failure. I think I also get the Handbrake Warning light illuminated in speed dial.
The starting problem was very irregular but has become more frequent. I found that I could get the car to start again after a couple of attempts and I think it starts after I have depressed the brake pedal a few times prior to turning the key and also perhaps after I have released the handbrake?
Another thing is that on occasions where it does not seem to want to fire up, I have it pushed of the road and it then appears to start. On one really bad occasion the car just would not start so I had it towed away. It sat over night, but when I tried to start it in the morning it fired up!?
Although I can recall an odd occasion when the ESP light has come on while I have been driving, the problem is when I attempt to start the car. Would either the ABS Modulator or the ESP Brake Sensor prevent me from starting the car?
I apologise if this message is a bit long winded but how long I have been trying to get to the bottom of this problem!!
Looking forward to any advise.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:01 PM
1st Gear

Sounds to me like a failing fuel pump or engine speed sensor. Get a VAGCOM scan,it will tell you a lot.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:10 AM
1st Gear

Thanks ManyAudis. I will ask my mechanic about it. Incidentally MY mechanic appears to have carried out what looks like a comprehensive diagnostics. I have pages of information.Frankly is quite confusing to me. It does seem to mention/list Protocol: E-VAG-CAN a few times? is this the same as a VAGCOM?
Regards BOB

Old 08-26-2013, 12:37 PM
1st Gear

That is probably a different system but will give the same results at VAG-COM.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:55 AM
1st Gear
Smile Reply to update

Hello ManyAudis.u for your update.
Regards
BOB