Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior lights & headlights on buzzer

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 02:05 PM
3rd Gear
Default Interior lights & headlights on buzzer

I know this topic has been discussed in the past but did not see a definitive answer so I'm asking again.

I have a problem with the interior lights and warning buzzer on a 1997 Avant A6 Q. The buzzer warning that the headlights are on, key is in the ignition, or a door is ajar does not work. I have tried the overhead switch in the light in all 3 positions.

All the lights –except the foot well - work with their respective switches and the rear hatch light works correctly when it is opened and closed. (As long as the rear switch is in the correct position)

I would suspect I had a bad buzzer, if the interior lights came on when I opened a door and a bad door switch if only one door did not turn on the lights – but nothing makes the buzzer work and non of the doors turn on the interior lights.

I suspect that I have either a fuse or relay problem but can’t find anything in the Bentley manual to help. I’m an engineer and can follow most simple to medium complexity diagrams, but I can’t see where the door switches – interior lights – head lights - warning buzzer – door switches come together or what fuses/relays might be involved.

My Audi 200 has most of the fuses and relay’s in the box under the hood but the A6 seems to have only relays. So here are my questions..

Where are the fuses and where is the buzzer? (Bentley gives only limited help.)

And does any one have another suggestions?

Old 11-01-2007, 04:57 PM
Default RE: Interior lights & headlights on buzzer

If it is similar to the newer A6 the fuses are behind the plastic panel on the drivers side end panel of the dash, accessible when the driver's door is open.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:13 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks I'll look tonight. - Maybe I'll wait untilmorning when there is light.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:48 AM

I've had the same problem with my 97' A6 quattro. My Wife is driving the car now and would love to know what can be done to fix this. I'm very interested in what you find.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:17 PM
3rd Gear

This is becoming an epidemic. Now my daughter’s 96 A6 is having the same problem.

I don't know if the buzzer ever worked but I know the interior lights did at one time.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:29 PM
1st Gear

It should be a fuse, I've had this problem on another car not Audi, same symptoms. Replaced the fuse and all was good.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:21 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks -- I know that I need to look at the fuses as soon as there is time, but suspect it is something else because the lights work with the switches but not the doors. I hope your right - the power from the doors might be on a different circuit. We'll have to see.....

Old 11-07-2007, 04:39 PM

Hey guy... its the electronic switch in the door itself that is combined with the door latch system.
My 2002 A6 4.2 has the same problem, but I just can't let myself spend the quoted $532 to replace
the system. The lights work when use my keyless, but neither door handle operates the headlight buzzer
or interior lights. (why this car, which has every option possible, has no auto headlights still amazes me)

Maybe a junkyard would have a unit to replace it with, i hear they're very faulty though.

Good luck,
Johnny

Old 11-07-2007, 06:06 PM

ORIGINAL: diamanteboy

Hey guy... its the electronic switch in the door itself that is combined with the door latch system.
My 2002 A6 4.2 has the same problem, but I just can't let myself spend the quoted $532 to replace
the system. The lights work when use my keyless, but neither door handle operates the headlight buzzer
or interior lights. (why this car, which has every option possible, has no auto headlights still amazes me)

Maybe a junkyard would have a unit to replace it with, i hear they're very faulty though.

Good luck,
Johnny
The door latch assembly for your 2002 (Part # 4B1 837 015H) is about $140 from http://genuineaudiparts.com/. Should take about an hour and a 6-pack to replace...

Old 10-14-2008, 02:47 PM
1st Gear

Hey. I was wondering if there's a way to connect something, or program with vag that b5's (96) display would show the door ajar warning. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Interior lights & headlights on buzzer