Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Programming - Alarm System Failures - Related?

Old 11-24-2014, 03:14 PM
1st Gear
Default Key Programming - Alarm System Failures - Related?

I have a 2002 Audi A6 4.2 quattro sedan.

I recently replaced the driver’s door lock actuator because the microswitch had stopped working and the car did not know when the driver’s door was open. I got a replacement door lock actuator from China on ebay and installed it. Everything was great. The interior lights came on when the door was opened. The pictogram showed the driver’s door open. The car beeped annoyingly when the driver’s door was open with the motor running, etc.

At this point, the security system was still arming when the car was locked with the remote, the alarm would beep when locked and the red lights in the doors would flash when the car was locked.

A week after I installed the door lock actuator, the exterior door handle stopped working because I had not correctly reinstalled a retaining pin on the inside of the exterior door handle. I had to spend an unhappy couple of hours completely disassembling the door again to get to the door handle and fix the pin.

Within a day or two of redoing the door handle, I noticed that the alarm was not beeping when I locked the car with the remote. I also noticed the red lights in the doors were not flashing when the car was locked to show that the security system was armed. The car would still lock and unlock fine with the remote. I presumed that the security system has stopped working for some reason but I decided that fixing this was not a priority.

A few weeks after this, my only key to this car was lost. I had to get a replacement key from a local dealer and the new key had to be coded to the immobilizer in the car so the car would start and run with the new key. The key was successfully programed to the immobilizer. The dealer was unable to program the remote lock and unlock feature on the new keyfob. The dealer will diagnose the problem with a minimum two hour diagnosis fee.

I am wondering whether the recent failure in the security system is the reason that the new key remote cannot be programmed to the car. Does the security system need to be working to program a key? I am also wondering if the security system failure is related to the new door lock actuator in the driver’s door. The door lock actuator is working correctly for the lights, pictogram, headlights, etc. Does the security system get a separate signal from this microswitch and could the security system think the driver’s door is open?

I appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Robert