Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keyless entry range sucks...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 10:21 PM
1st Gear
Default Keyless entry range sucks...

Anybody having this problem? I have a 2000 and I literally have to be within 10 feet to lock or unlock my car. I just put new batteries in the key, so I know its not that. Any ideas?

Old 07-02-2007, 10:29 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Keyless entry range sucks...

i think everyone has this problem. it's not the batteries. the only thing i've heard of being done to fix this is to find the antenna (which i've heard is somewhere near the rear seat, but i could be mistaken) and relocate it somewhere where it can receive signals better (ie along the top of the rear seats or somewhere like that). other than that, i'm not really sure if you can do too much else to fix this. let me know if there's some other trick that you figure out though, because i'd definitely be interested.
-mike

Old 07-02-2007, 10:37 PM
1st Gear

If I could find out where the antenna is I would wire it up somewhere to help it pick up better, but I don't know where to look for it

Old 07-02-2007, 11:50 PM
3rd Gear

I had the same problem with my 00 Avant, I changed the batteries with no improvement. I planned on eventually extending the antenna but in the mean time had ordered a new oem remote from a guy in the classifieds here. The new remote work from maybe 30 feet away. So by accident I solved my problem. Why the new remote works any better...I have no idea, but maybe the newer remote has a stronger transmitter in it.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:01 AM
1st Gear

I posted almost the exact same thing about 2 weeks ago. There is nothing you can do to increase your distance. It's the transmitter in the keyfob. It has about a 10 to 20Ft maximum from the people I have chatted with who have a model year 2000.

It is an inconvenience!

OOOO

Old 07-03-2007, 10:45 PM
2nd Gear

I have the same problem and this is my second AUDI. (both suck) I think we can solve it by relocating the antenna. If I could re-wire the antenna into the GPS dish for the navigation (on the trunk) I might increase distance. Sometimes if the wind blows right I can get 30 feet...hahahaha...Anybody now the exact location of the antennae. I can play guinea pig and try this out. If it works I will post the results. If ya really want to get super technical about it we can research the transmitter frequency and power consumption and hit up radio shack to order something more powerful that will fit. I play around with this stuff soI will let people know.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:57 PM

ahh it is nice to see i'm not the only one with this problem

Old 07-03-2007, 11:39 PM
3rd Gear

I got this from AW,

Keyless Entry range INCREASED to 100ft!!!! And took all of 45 minutes. Posted by: jwt2.7T on 2004-07-29 12:48:26
Account #: 22974
In Reply to: Antenna mounted to rear bumper support, above rear exhaust on driver's side.. posted by jwt2.7T on 2004-07-29 10:55:24 Thanks to everyone for their help & input!!! The clincher was a tip from my local VW/Audi tech, who said that the antenna was attached to the rear bumper support on the driver side. Sure enough, there was a coax-looking wire coming out of the body via a gromet & attached by like a tie-wrap to the metal bumper (seen by looking up thru the valence with a flashlight). I then went into the trunk & removed the driver's side panel door & felt around & look around @ the back of the cavity & right by the felt-trunk wall I found the same coax-looking cable. However, it was really just a tube, with an antenna wire running into it. I was able to just pull the ant. out of the tube & continue to pull it out of the wiring harness, next to the jack. I pulled it all the way out till it was @ the roof of the trunk. I then fed it thru the roof of the trunk & into the back of the rear seat & up onto the very back driver side window (the little one). I did this real quick @ lunch & thus could probably pull it even more out of the wiring harness & mount it in an even better place. But, as is, I now get 100ft keyless entry range on my 2000 A6 2.7t, w/o modifying the remote FOB or central locking control module!!!! Yes, now I can open/close my windows from the house. I still don't know where that thing is & really......it doesn't matter at this point. Enjoy the range!!!

Old 07-04-2007, 11:05 PM

how do you open and close your windows with your remote? sorry i'm a noob.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:19 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Crazy Nip

how do you open and close your windows with your remote? sorry i'm a noob.
You use VAG-COM (http://www.ross-tech.com) and edit the code for the Central Locking System.

And the instructions Jeff posted work great. The only problem is sometimes the car will lock itself if you are far enough away.

Quick Reply: Keyless entry range sucks...