Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a little help

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 01:47 AM
1st Gear
Arrow a little help

so i recently got a a 2001 audi a6 2.7t tip and i already have a cel on. hesitates during acceleration so i assumed it was misfiring. borrowed a friends odb2 scanner and i pulled 2 codes... p0305 and p1369 indicating a misfire in cylinder 5 and an ignition circuit short to ground in cylinder 5 also. my question is would replacing the spark plugs, plug wire, and coil pack in cylinder 5 clear this problem up? anyone with similar issues? thanks for any advice and i did a search and couldnt find anything really about p1369

Old 08-03-2013, 10:11 AM
1st Gear

yes it could,

- but have you pulled them out to see if you have any oil on them, if so you have the common gasket leaks
- replace the wires and plugs for now, coil can come after if there are no leaks and issue doesn't go away.
- wires and plugs are cheap. Buy your wires on ebay, got my bosch ones there

Old 08-03-2013, 06:11 PM
1st Gear

switch coils around to see if misfire stays on same cylinder

Old 08-05-2013, 01:42 AM
1st Gear

replaced the spark plug today. coil pack looked okay. no oil on the coil pack but when i pulled the spark plug there was oil in the spark plug well(not sure if thats what its called) anyways replaced it with a new spark plug and cleared codes. cel is gone and drove it around and seems to be a little better.. if theres oil in the hole im assuming i need to change the valve cover gasket and the spark plug gasket next?

Old 08-05-2013, 09:53 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by norcal22
replaced the spark plug today. coil pack looked okay. no oil on the coil pack but when i pulled the spark plug there was oil in the spark plug well(not sure if thats what its called) anyways replaced it with a new spark plug and cleared codes. cel is gone and drove it around and seems to be a little better.. if theres oil in the hole im assuming i need to change the valve cover gasket and the spark plug gasket next?

Yup, VGC is the next job - Mine isn't a turbo like yours, but very similar process.

Take a look at my how to thread for what you are up against.

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/aud...-8l-v6-193073/

It would also behoove you to trace down any other comon oil leaks for your year. Mine had all four common leaks that I fixed. Link below covers the locations and parts cost

Audi Oil Leak - Audi Oil Leaks - Audi Oil Burning Smell

Good luck and report back !

Old 08-05-2013, 06:00 PM
1st Gear

Oil in plug cavity = Valve Cover Gasket Leak.
New plug won't fix it.
VCG is pretty easy job. As twopedal mentioned, there are other sources of oil leaks that make a mess outside the engine, but just the VCG leak is source of oil in the plug cavity. Another common oil leak spot on the 2.7T is at the cam tensioner gaskets. These are a bit more involved than the VCG, but just another step deeper into the repair.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:20 PM
1st Gear

Sorry it's been a while. Been craft busy at work. Changed vcg and coil pack. Cleared codes but it's still missing. What would be next? Icm? Fuel injectors? Anyone with a similar problem?

Old 08-26-2013, 09:54 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by norcal22
Sorry it's been a while. Been craft busy at work. Changed vcg and coil pack. Cleared codes but it's still missing. What would be next? Icm? Fuel injectors? Anyone with a similar problem?
Hiya

So just confirming,

- you did both VCG?
- and the O ring seals for the plugs?
- Did you clean up any excess oil in the plug wells?
- or even clean up the old oil off the old plugs and wires?

Did you by chance get new wires and plugs? If one of the wires is failing on the conductivity, you'd get a missfire.

Take the cylinder that is misfiring and swap the spark wire with one that isn't, clear the codes and see if the missfire goes away, and possibly appears on the swapped cylinder

Old 09-13-2013, 12:25 AM
1st Gear

yes I did both of them. There was little to no oil in the holes and changed all spark plugs. I'm still having the misfire and I'm almost sure it's the wire harness to the coils. Where do I find the new wires and plugs? I can't find them anywhere! Please god some help a fellow Audi enthusiast out! Thank you

Last edited by norcal22; 09-13-2013 at 12:27 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:43 AM
1st Gear

Ebay for the plugs and wires or go to an autozone.