Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy an A6 very soon. Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 12:08 PM
1st Gear
Default Looking to buy an A6 very soon. Please help.

Hello all..a newbie here looking for your expertise. I am currently in the market for an A6...either a 2.7T or a 4.2L. Leaning towards the 2.7T. Years between 2000-2003.
Can you guys help me out...are these cars easy to work on yourself? I am pretty mechanical, but have only dealt with American cars...and I know the German engineered cars are a whole different animal.
Also...can you do the all the expected repairs yourself like the timing belt, alternator, valve covers, O2 sensors, etc.? Or do you have to take it to an Audi mechanic?
One last thing...how do I know if the turbo's are failing or have failed if I am checking out a 2.7?? I have only worked on N/A engines, and have no experience with turbos. Anything else I should check out on either the 2.7 or 4.2 when inspecting?
Thanks SO much for ALL your help. I truly appreciate it.
Take care!

Old 07-19-2013, 09:41 AM
1st Gear

Anyone? Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:12 AM
1st Gear

As a guy who's never worked on an Audi till I bought my wifes A6 2001 N/A Avant 2.8L four months ago.... No, not too hard to work.

I've replaced various engine gaskets and hoses. The first time round is a little iffy, but once you've been in a couple times its ok.

1) Get a VAGcom scanner - even a cheap ebay one is good, that is what I use
2) Get a NATION wide carfax report before you buy anything
3) Look all over the engine for the typical gasket leaks - use this to help you out Audi Oil Leak - Audi Oil Leaks - Audi Oil Burning Smell

Above all - take it for a test drive, look at all the mainatance.

Was there a tranny flush (if atx) at any point
etc....

Old 07-19-2013, 12:13 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by twopedalwarrior
As a guy who's never worked on an Audi till I bought my wifes A6 2001 N/A Avant 2.8L four months ago.... No, not too hard to work.

I've replaced various engine gaskets and hoses. The first time round is a little iffy, but once you've been in a couple times its ok.

1) Get a VAGcom scanner - even a cheap ebay one is good, that is what I use
2) Get a NATION wide carfax report before you buy anything
3) Look all over the engine for the typical gasket leaks - use this to help you out Audi Oil Leak - Audi Oil Leaks - Audi Oil Burning Smell

Above all - take it for a test drive, look at all the mainatance.

Was there a tranny flush (if atx) at any point
etc....
Thank you so much for the help...I truly appreciate it.
I am taking a look at a 2.7T on Sunday with 107,000 but well maintained with records. The timing belt was done at 100,000, so that's a good thing.
Great to know the above links...very helpful. Thank you again.