Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Oil Pressure on A6 3.0L Quattro Avant

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 07:19 AM
1st Gear
Angry Low Oil Pressure on A6 3.0L Quattro Avant

Morning All,
I'm totally new here and a totally new Audi owner so please accept my apologies if I do or say something wrong or stupid.

I live in the UK and I know very little about cars and am a single parent with little (almost none..) money to spend on repairs at a garage so I'm trying to see how much I can do myself.

I recently purchased an Audi A6 3.0L Quattro Avant with 95800 miles on the clock. The registration document shows it was registered new in 2001 however whenever I look up parts online my engine variant doesn't show up unless I select 2002 and some of the websites that have the 'lookup your vehicle by number plate' facility return a 2002 result.

The low oil pressure light came on after I had been driving around town for about 20 minutes and if i remember correctly it was around the 2000 rev mark... doing about 30mph down a residential street.

The car has no knocking noises, no bumps and actually was driving beautifully up to that point. I immediately switched the engine off and checked the oil level (something I had done a few days previous) which was fine... between the two markers. After about 20 minutes I drove straight home - about half a mile away and parked the car.

There are no visible leaks and the oil level is still fine and no visible leaks under the car. The car has a mixed service history with the last service having being done at around 91 000 miles.

Tomorrow intend to do an oil change along with a new oil filter and new oil filler cap (mine has a hole in it).

I also (after reading various forums) thought it would be a good idea to do a mechanical test of the pressure. However, I have no idea whatsoever how to do this or where to 'plug' the mechanical tester into the engine. So I guess what I'm asking is:

1. Am I doing the right thing
2. If so, how do I go about the mechanical test... (please feel free to use idiot speak .... as I said I know very little about cars)
3. Should I be looking for other things at this point or is this the way to start off?

I'm sorry if I have provided too little/too much info. And thanks in advance for any helpful hints/comments

Regards
Des