Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what catalytic converters to use?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 06:44 PM
1st Gear
Default what catalytic converters to use?

had the codes checked at autozone they say i need to replace my cats on my 2000 audi A6 2.7t.

I have been looking around and have found Eastern Catalytic makes cats for this car for $57 for each cat which is extremely cheap. Has anyone used an Eastern? Then there is catco and D.E.C. for $300-400. Are there any good aftermarket high flow cats that work good with an o2 sensor hole for this vehicle.

thanks

Old 06-18-2007, 07:11 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: what catalytic converters to use?

You get what you pay for. Now I am known for being the cheapest SOB you will ever meet, and I don't think I would even go with the 57.00 dollar ones. But then again if you are going to do the work yourself, if you spend 114.00 for the cheap ones and they fail in a year, you are out very little money. Might be worth the risk. Have the codes come back yet?

Jeff

Old 06-19-2007, 10:03 AM
1st Gear

I am in the same boat you are in with 00 2.7T. I have seen the exact same cats you have seen. I would not go for the cheap cats. I need to replace mine but I have a Milltek cat back exshaust so I am getting my last few bucks together to purchase Vast piggie DP's which include new cats!

OOOO

Old 06-19-2007, 12:53 PM
3rd Gear

If your car has under 80,000mi, it should be covered under the emissions warranty.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:30 PM
1st Gear

i just hit 98000. i just checked out the vast site and have a few questions. so for that 395 i get both sides correct? also with the piggie pipes will that set off any codes and can i use the normal o2 sensors? how hard is it to pull off the downpipes? i heard you have to drop ur rear subframe and detach your tranny.

thanks

Old 06-19-2007, 01:59 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: domvr6
i just hit 98000. i just checked out the vast site and have a few questions. so for that 395 i get both sides correct? also with the piggie pipes will that set off any codes and can i use the normal o2 sensors? how hard is it to pull off the downpipes? i heard you have to drop ur rear subframe and detach your tranny.

thanks
Yea, you get both. However, there is a core charge. Since yours are bad, they will not accept them as a core. With proper pigges (O2 relocation) you will not get a cel.

They are a ROYAL PITA to get off & replace. If you DIY, it WILL take you over a day. The passenger side is not hard, it's the top nut on the drivers side that sucks!

Old 06-19-2007, 05:05 PM
1st Gear

why wouldnt they accept them back? Do they take the core ones and then make them piggie pipes and put different cats on them? I just dont understand why they couldn't take it. It's illegal to sell a used catalytic converter so if they were reusing these pipes im sure theyd be changing the cats.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:59 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: domvr6

why wouldnt they accept them back? Do they take the core ones and then make them piggie pipes and put different cats on them? I just dont understand why they couldn't take it. It's illegal to sell a used catalytic converter so if they were reusing these pipes im sure theyd be changing the cats.
I think you will get the core because they replace the main cats anyway with new onesand the original cats on your Dp's, they will take to get recycled. In MD especially in Baltimore City (turning into the murder capital of the world, next to Detroit), cars and trucks are having their cats stolen, mainly its vehicles that are parked where they take public transportation to go to work. People come back and start their vehicles to a loud rumbling. They perps are using a Saws-All and cutting them out and taking them to recycling plants (big bucks in cat recycling). Do a google search and you'll see there are valuable metals (platinum, palladium or rhodiumin) in Cat's!!!

OOOO

Old 06-20-2007, 10:08 AM

If it were me, I'd be getting the Magnaflow spun cats that appear to be a higher-flow, direct fit (at least from what I saw under my 4.2). And probably the )2 relocators, just to be safe.

http://www.car-sound.com/02product/u...al/549spun.asp

Old 06-20-2007, 01:24 PM
1st Gear

where do i need to relocate the o2 sensors to? will the piggies cause me to get a code and thats why i need to relocate? Do these DPs come with relocated spots?

Quick Reply: what catalytic converters to use?